10.5 hp intek wont run

jimigunne

Threads
Am out of ideas. I have replaced the carb with one from Amazon. Spark tester shows spark but i replaced magneto and plug anyway. Still wont start. Have tried disconnecting the filter intake pipe and spraying starter fluid directly into carb through choke plate in various pisitions from closed to open. Does not even make so much as a single "pop". Its definitely still got normal compression judging by the pull force needed. I changed carb again just in case i got a bad one. Still no start. Even if the carb was not feeding any fuel mixture into combustion chamber, how is it possible that starter fluid into it still results in no fire at all?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Spray a TINY amount of starter fluid down the plug hole and try again.
If the timing is right & the compression is good you should at least get a fart.

If no joy as per Scrubbies suggestion check he timing key in the flywheel.

If that is OK or you got a fart in the first test then pull the rocker cover off and check the valves.
They should move the same distance & be equal positions in the head .

Last edited:

jimigunne

Threads
Spray a TINY amount of starter fluid down the plug hole and try again.
If the timing is right & the compression is good you should at least get a fart.

If no joy as per Scrubbies suggestion check he timing key in the flywheel.

If that is OK or you got a fart in the first test then pull the rocker cover off and check the valves.
They should move the same distance & be equal positions in the head .
[/QUOT

jimigunne

Threads
I figured it would dissipate by the time i got sparkplug reinstalled? Is too much starter fluid a bad thing? I have the whole carb pulled out a little from the engine intake. So starter fluid injected there on engine side of carb definitely eliminates possibility of blockage at carb. I didnt get a burp that way either.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
As said before. Take off the valve cover and take a peek, likely a pushrod dropped out or the like.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
If those idea's don't work. Stick a long screw driver into the spark plug hole, turn the engine over by hand and see if the piston is moving up and down. Just be careful not to bind the screw driver if/when the piston starts coming up.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I figured it would dissipate by the time i got sparkplug reinstalled? Is too much starter fluid a bad thing? I have the whole carb pulled out a little from the engine intake. So starter fluid injected there on engine side of carb definitely eliminates possibility of blockage at carb. I didnt get a burp that way either.
Only gasses burn
So unless all of it blows back out the spark plug hole there will be starter fluid in the cylinder and because what you are spraying in is more concentrated than what would be aspirated by the carburettor then it will work.
Too much spray is just the same as too much petrol .

jimigunne

Threads
Yea that makes sense. So i did put some starter fluid direct into spark hole, put plug in and pulled it. There was a kickback so violent that the handle was jerked out of my hand....and i let out a yell from the ensuing pain that could be heard a block away. What does this mean?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
did you check the flywheel key? that will throw off igniton timing.