Problem growing grass around water oaks.

Mr. Shamrock

Threads
It would really help if you could furnish the timeline for this scenario. I would again recommend a soil analysis at your local county agents office. Pictures I agree would also help.

I was just looking through some pictures that had dates on them and in April is when it looked about it's best. I seeded in February and by April it was looking good. By June it was starting to get bare and by August it was almost as bad as before I started. I gave up on it at that point and have just let it do what it wants. Needless to say it looks like crap right now. For the record this wasn't this past year this was a few years ago and I just lost my interest when all my efforts went down the drain. So I will be starting back from scratch or like I said above just bringing in a bunch of mulch and flowering plants and make a bike landscape island out of the entire area.

Mower manic

Threads
I was just looking through some pictures that had dates on them and in April is when it looked about it's best. I seeded in February and by April it was looking good. By June it was starting to get bare and by August it was almost as bad as before I started. I gave up on it at that point and have just let it do what it wants. Needless to say it looks like crap right now. For the record this wasn't this past year this was a few years ago and I just lost my interest when all my efforts went down the drain. So I will be starting back from scratch or like I said above just bringing in a bunch of mulch and flowering plants and make a bike landscape island out of the entire area.

Understand that problems like this are area specific. There are dozens of cultivars of fescue and an infinite amount of soil combinations, particularly when you have stratification like you are describing. Here is a link to someone who will help you on your way to pinpointing the problem and resolving same.
About Cory Tanner : Extension : Clemson University : South Carolina
You will need to send soil samples for testing and the collection process is important, so since you have a few months to get this under control (winter) you have time to educate yourself. This is really going to come in handy with your future landscaping endeavors so it's time well spent.
The alternative is to throw money at the problem and hope for a positive result.
Please post your pics, but send them to Cory as well. He is most qualified to solve your problem.

jenkinsph

Threads
I think I would focus on getting the soil amendments needed now and plan on planting in the fall next year when the day temperatures are closer to 75 degrees. This will allow the grass to grow and strengthen through the winter months (particularly the roots) and have a much better chance the following summer.

Chev

Threads
I think I would focus on getting the soil amendments needed now and plan on planting in the fall next year when the day temperatures are closer to 75 degrees. This will allow the grass to grow and strengthen through the winter months (particularly the roots) and have a much better chance the following summer.

Your main problem is mentioned in this post. If you plan in the spring the root system will not have developed enough by the time the temps go up and the rain quantities go down.

Plant in the fall, if you want results.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Plant your fescue now it likes the cold cover the seed with some straw. When summer comes the roots with be strong enough to handle the heat In the the spring you can cut it low but in summer you want to keep it around 3 inch. Fescue is a shade grass does not like the heat or sun

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

jenkinsph

Threads
Plant your fescue now it likes the cold cover the seed with some straw. When summer comes the roots with be strong enough to handle the heat In the the spring you can cut it low but in summer you want to keep it around 3 inch. Fescue is a shade grass does not like the heat or sun

Curious about your grass in Georgia, is it still growing enough to cut? While mine is still green it has slowed down in growth.

I would consider planting in the next day or two and take a chance on it since you would be looking at bare dirt for another year.

Looking at the weather charts for your area I think once you get the Fescue established the approximate 1 inch per week seems to be ideal. Looks to be mild weather for the most part.

I would bet the ideal time to plant would be about Oct 1 st imo.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yes the best time to plant or over seed fescue is late sept early oct

Chev

Threads
I am sure it varies by region, but this year I had good success planting in early Sept. I did have to water religiously, but the grass had started when the fall rains started.

:thumbsup:

jenkinsph

Threads
In my locale with the higher elevation (7500 ft) I can plant in mid August after weeds will stop germinating with good results. This give me more time to establish the roots before winter and gives me a good 9 or 10 months before the higher summer temperatures hit.

Planting in the spring means the new grass has to contend with the weeds. Although the grass can eventually choke out the weeds the areas that I have planted in August or early fall are almost weed free.

jenkinsph

Threads
Mr Shamrock,
Did you decide to go ahead and plant the grass now?