Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Mower
    Piston Powered

Re: Smoothing out the lawn

Quote Originally Posted by jenkinsph View Post
    A shortline company refers to a company making a limited line of products, compared to companies such as Deere, Kubota, and others who offer a full line of tractors, riding mowers, industrial and road equipment. Usually these shortline companies will off implements but not tractors.

A few to check out would be the Frontier, Leinbach, LandPride and Durograder, to name a few. Some are available with scarifier teeth too similar to a boxblade setup.

Here is a pic of my lawn that I smoothed up with the landplane in the above post.
    That really is a great looking yard. Post pics of that anytime you want.
    "Lead Troll" This honor bestowed upon me by jmurray01 10-25-11.

Mower
    lawnmower

thanks for the compliments guys.

Mower
    lawnmower

Here's pictures of another job we completed with a new retaining wall and patio extension. Had to spend some time working this smooth to allow for proper drainage and tie in to the adjacent golf course. The landplane and boxblade were a huge help with this contouring work.

Mower
    Grasshopper

We use a sports turf dressing from a local soil/landscape yard. It is 50% compost and 50% washed sand. This goes down in early Spring after scalping the lawns. We use a large landscape rakes to level it out and then just add water. The compost helps green up the grass and reduces any thatch and the sand fills in the low spots. Sometimes two applications is needed to achieve desired results.

Mower
    lawnmower

Quote Originally Posted by TruthfulLies View Post
    We use a sports turf dressing from a local soil/landscape yard. It is 50% compost and 50% washed sand. This goes down in early Spring after scalping the lawns. We use a large landscape rakes to level it out and then just add water. The compost helps green up the grass and reduces any thatch and the sand fills in the low spots. Sometimes two applications is needed to achieve desired results.
    Most of the top dressing I use is about 25% mulch and 75% sandy loam soil, I have used sand to finish grade where important. Most of New Mexico and Texas have plenty of sand in the soil to work with. I generally use a starter fertilizer when planting new seed too.

Mower
    Black and Decker

Well, you really can't smoothen it if the problem lies with the area you are in already. Though you could try letting them grow a little taller so you could even them out by mowing them a little low. But that would still depend on how your grass grows and would not apply to all.

You're area might also be on one of those soft areas that is why your soil keeps on moving and shaking up.

Mower
    lawnmower

rich,
    Here are some pictures of a new landplane I built a week back, will finish it up this weekend and paint it. This one is for the garden tractor and is 4' wide with 5' long skids, it will be used to fix problems with lawns such as yours I have only tested this on the driveway as my lawn doesn't need it..

Mower
    I Don't Own a Mower :(

Thats a great idea!

I may make one out of wood as I dont have a Metal shop.

Put a big plywood Hopper on top that you can shovel topsoil into and it will self feed to level out divots in the lawn.

Today Im taking off the Snowplow and giving it a good coating of Fluid Film so that it will be ready to go for next winter. Too Bad a snowplow could not be made into a multi season tool, I have pushed Freash Sand and crushed stone dust with it but it would need a real down pressure to do more work.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Maine: Sure its Cold; But its a Damp Cold!

1,000 Post Club

Mower
    Murray

Quote Originally Posted by jenkinsph View Post
    rich,
    Here are some pictures of a new landplane I built a week back, will finish it up this weekend and paint it. This one is for the garden tractor and is 4' wide with 5' long skids, it will be used to fix problems with lawns such as yours I have only tested this on the driveway as my lawn doesn't need it..
    A question for the experienced 3 point operators.

I have a box blade I pull with a New Holland TD75D and each time the back tires go over a raised area it dumps some of the load and after a few minutes of work it looks worse for smooth and level than when I started. Is there an answer for this constant up and down movement that tends to follow the tractor ups and downs?

Experience doesn't seem to be helping the situation.

Mower
    lawnmower

Quote Originally Posted by wickedgoodoutdoors View Post
    Thats a great idea!

I may make one out of wood as I dont have a Metal shop.

Put a big plywood Hopper on top that you can shovel topsoil into and it will self feed to level out divots in the lawn.

Today Im taking off the Snowplow and giving it a good coating of Fluid Film so that it will be ready to go for next winter. Too Bad a snowplow could not be made into a multi season tool, I have pushed Freash Sand and crushed stone dust with it but it would need a real down pressure to do more work.

I actually plan to build one with skids and a raised screed board equipped with a plywood hopper to apply top dressing. You are right on target.