Oil filter check for Kawa FR691V

L454S

Threads
In response to the original question...yes, that is the right Fram filter for your Kawasaki. I have been using the UltraXG4967 on my mower and the 20KW V twin Generac generator for years now. Change both each winter with that filter and Shell Rotella 15/40 HDEO.

I keep a stash of about 4 of these and a couple gallons of oil in case of power outages to keep the generator serviced.

Threads
In response to the original question...yes, that is the right Fram filter for your Kawasaki. I have been using the UltraXG4967 on my mower and Generac generator for years now. Change both each winter with that filter and Shell Rotella 15/40 HDEO.

I keep a stash of about 4 of these and a couple gallons of oil in case of power outages to keep the generator serviced.

That looks like Little Caillou Bayou north of Chauvin ..............

iclick

Threads
Iclic............ I have looked at the kawi filters and the Briggs filters ....... I can't tell any difference between the 2 .... I service a few Hustler raps with Kawi engines and because of warranty I use Kawi filters for my customers....

As I mentioned in my OP, a friend who's in the lawn care business uses B&G filters on his Hustler and says the same as you. I see your point on Kawi filters for Kawis as regards any potential warranty issues.

Oregon has the Kawi filter replacement for half the retail price...... I would bet good money that those two filters are made in the same plant, but has different paint on them.....

Good tip for parts. Bookmarked.

Also Kawi has 2 different filters a 2 1/4 inch and a 2 7/8 inch ....... You have the shorter one I think...........

Yes, 2.3". Longer ones will fit, though. Wix has 2.3", 2.7", and 3.4"--all with the same mount. I don't see the point of going bigger (more oil, larger filter surface) when I change the oil every 20 hours.

Where you at in Louisiana ??

Baton Rouge, dat.

iclick

Threads
That doesn't pertain to the OP or anyone down here....... There is no winter downtime for us... We use lawn equipment all winter long.... Less cutting cause the grass grows slower, but still growing....... Winter grass grows like a weed in the garden LOL...........

I have St. Augustine and it goes dormant after the first frost, like November thru March. I suppose I could justify a session or two in that period but I don't, as it's usually quite soggy in places this time of year. In March the weeds start sprouting and that's when the mowing season starts. I have down time during that period except for one session in January when I mulch leaves. That keeps me from raking, as I have many trees and my lot is too big to rake. I don't plant winter grass.

Most of my neighbors have Centipede grass and they don't mow in winter either.

Last edited:

iclick

Threads
In response to the original question...yes, that is the right Fram filter for your Kawasaki. I have been using the UltraXG4967 on my mower and the 20KW V twin Generac generator for years now. Change both each winter with that filter and Shell Rotella 15/40 HDEO. I keep a stash of about 4 of these and a couple gallons of oil in case of power outages to keep the generator serviced.

Voila! Fate rewards those who are patient.

I just did a search on the Fram site, this time on mowers instead of the specific filter. They don't show a Raptor with Kawi engines (only Kohler) and all references to Kawi engines on Hustler mowers, including the 23hp Kawi engine, match the Extra-Guard PH4967. That's not the Ultra but has the same fitment specs, including gasket size, bypass valve setting, etc. You're using the Ultra XG4967 on your FR691V so that's a match. Thanks!

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
The 49065-7007 was OE on my FX691V but it was difficult to remove with my filter wrench due to interference with the dip-stick tube. So I run the 49065-4010 on it like I do with my other 2 Kawi engines which are in the FR series. The 7007 is a little shorter and fatter, but my understanding is that the 2 filters have the same filter media volume and have the same seal and are interchangeable for filtration purposes.

iclick

Threads
The 49065-7007 was OE on my FX691V but it was difficult to remove with my filter wrench due to interference with the dip-stick tube.

Your reply had me going out and looking at the Fram filter I just bought. It's 2.7", not 2.3" like the OEM Kawi filter--something I hadn't noticed. I thought that might be why it didn't match up to the Kawi FR691V, as it's conceivable that some applications might have clearance issues, but the PH4967 does match up and is the same size. Anyway, that's not a problem at all with my Raptor, as I have plenty of room to remove the filter. It'll add an ounce or two of oil to the mix, but that's okay.

iclick

Threads
That is Bayou Francois in Gonzales running through the back yard.

Hey, we're neighbors. I'm just a few miles north of you in SE BR. I have Claycut Bayou running through my back yard.

Threads
Hey, we're neighbors. I'm just a few miles north of you in SE BR. I have Claycut Bayou running through my back yard.

I used to have my biz in Grosse Tete .......... Used to hit a few bars with Johnny Maldo , Rob Sharp and Kelly Lee..... Raw Oysters at Jones creek steakhouse ........ 25 cent oysters on the half shell ........ Yeah boy ..........