Honda GC-160 engine won't start

RANCHER

Forum Newbie
Threads
I've got a Honda gc160 on a log splitter, that won't start, all of a sudden. It's about 8 or 9 years old. It was working fine a couple of days ago; I split half a cord with it. I was able to download part of a shop manual for it. I did the following things:

Checked:
Replaced fuel with brand-new fuel; including carb. bowl.
Good spark. A White spark. Probably good magneto then; and related cable/wiring.
'Oil-alert' should be okay because I have spark?
Oil level is good.
Spark-plug is seated/tightened correctly now.
Throttle 'Kill switch' works.
Muffler good/ no blockages. (no spark arrestor, by the way).
Main fuel-line & fuel strainer is good (Bottom of the gas tank P.92); no blockages.
Air filter checked out fine.

It pulls fine (pull rope). It appears to be delivering fuel. The plug will be wet, if I choke it and give it 4 or 5 pulls. It used to start in 2 light pulls, every time. I tried using some starter fluid and it still doesn't start.

I'm wondering if I should pull off the valve cover and take a look at the valves or maybe pull the carb?

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
I've got a Honda gc160 on a log splitter, that won't start, all of a sudden. It's about 8 or 9 years old. It was working fine a couple of days ago; I split half a cord with it. I was able to download part of a shop manual for it. I did the following things:

Checked:
Replaced fuel with brand-new fuel; including carb. bowl.
Good spark. A White spark. Probably good magneto then; and related cable/wiring.
'Oil-alert' should be okay because I have spark?
Oil level is good.
Spark-plug is seated/tightened correctly now.
Throttle 'Kill switch' works.
Muffler good/ no blockages. (no spark arrestor, by the way).
Main fuel-line & fuel strainer is good (Bottom of the gas tank P.92); no blockages.
Air filter checked out fine.

It pulls fine (pull rope). It appears to be delivering fuel. The plug will be wet, if I choke it and give it 4 or 5 pulls. It used to start in 2 light pulls, every time. I tried using some starter fluid and it still doesn't start.

I'm wondering if I should pull off the valve cover and take a look at the valves or maybe pull the carb?

IF you do get a new carb, double-check all the gaskets and spacers.

How about the fuel pump?

RANCHER

Forum Newbie
Threads
IF you do get a new carb, double-check all the gaskets and spacers.

How about the fuel pump?

Why? Is there some problem with brand new Honda 4-cycle carbs?

I didn't check the fuel pump. What should I do on that, exactly?

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Why? Is there some problem with brand new Honda 4-cycle carbs?

I didn't check the fuel pump. What should I do on that, exactly?

No, nothing wrong, but often, when trying to troubleshoot a hard-start / n-start condtion, it is faster, easier, cheaper to just replace the carburetor(list price for a new carb is < $20.)

The fuel pump is a plain-simple vacuum-type design:

fp%201%20of%202_zpshc5k3dhh.jpg

fp%202%20of%202_zpslpekwok8.jpg

Vacuum (yellow) operates the internal diaphragm, drawing fuel from the tank (pink) and then out/up (purple) to the inlet fitting on the carburetor. Check for cracks, pinched tube, any other obvious damage. Confirm all tube connections are secure with OEM clamps.

RANCHER

Forum Newbie
Threads
No, nothing wrong, but often, when trying to troubleshoot a hard-start / n-start condtion, it is faster, easier, cheaper to just replace the carburetor(list price for a new carb is < $20.)

The fuel pump is a plain-simple vacuum-type design:

fp%201%20of%202_zpshc5k3dhh.jpg

fp%202%20of%202_zpslpekwok8.jpg

Vacuum (yellow) operates the internal diaphragm, drawing fuel from the tank (pink) and then out/up (purple) to the inlet fitting on the carburetor. Check for cracks, pinched tube, any other obvious damage. Confirm all tube connections are secure with OEM clamps.

Thanks Robert! Very helpful. I talked to the splitter company tech-support today. They're a Honda dealer, etc. and the guy said it's
probably a clogged 'pilot screw'. He gave me a test to perform to isolate the problem to the carb. You put a soda-pop cap full of gas into the plug hole, replace the plug, and pull the starter rope. If it pops, it's the carb. So, mine did create a small pop. But I will check the pump too.