Export thread

Honda GC-160 engine won't start

R

RANCHER

I've got a Honda gc160 on a log splitter, that won't start, all of a sudden. It's about 8 or 9 years old. It was working fine a couple of days ago; I split half a cord with it. I was able to download part of a shop manual for it. I did the following things:

Checked:
Replaced fuel with brand-new fuel; including carb. bowl.
Good spark. A White spark. Probably good magneto then; and related cable/wiring.
'Oil-alert' should be okay because I have spark?
Oil level is good.
Spark-plug is seated/tightened correctly now.
Throttle 'Kill switch' works.
Muffler good/ no blockages. (no spark arrestor, by the way).
Main fuel-line & fuel strainer is good (Bottom of the gas tank P.92); no blockages.
Air filter checked out fine.

It pulls fine (pull rope). It appears to be delivering fuel. The plug will be wet, if I choke it and give it 4 or 5 pulls. It used to start in 2 light pulls, every time. I tried using some starter fluid and it still doesn't start.

I'm wondering if I should pull off the valve cover and take a look at the valves or maybe pull the carb?

robert@honda

robert@honda

I've got a Honda gc160 on a log splitter, that won't start, all of a sudden. It's about 8 or 9 years old. It was working fine a couple of days ago; I split half a cord with it. I was able to download part of a shop manual for it. I did the following things:

Checked:
Replaced fuel with brand-new fuel; including carb. bowl.
Good spark. A White spark. Probably good magneto then; and related cable/wiring.
'Oil-alert' should be okay because I have spark?
Oil level is good.
Spark-plug is seated/tightened correctly now.
Throttle 'Kill switch' works.
Muffler good/ no blockages. (no spark arrestor, by the way).
Main fuel-line & fuel strainer is good (Bottom of the gas tank P.92); no blockages.
Air filter checked out fine.

It pulls fine (pull rope). It appears to be delivering fuel. The plug will be wet, if I choke it and give it 4 or 5 pulls. It used to start in 2 light pulls, every time. I tried using some starter fluid and it still doesn't start.

I'm wondering if I should pull off the valve cover and take a look at the valves or maybe pull the carb?

IF you do get a new carb, double-check all the gaskets and spacers.

How about the fuel pump?

R

RANCHER

IF you do get a new carb, double-check all the gaskets and spacers.

How about the fuel pump?

Why? Is there some problem with brand new Honda 4-cycle carbs?

I didn't check the fuel pump. What should I do on that, exactly?

robert@honda

robert@honda

Why? Is there some problem with brand new Honda 4-cycle carbs?

I didn't check the fuel pump. What should I do on that, exactly?

No, nothing wrong, but often, when trying to troubleshoot a hard-start / n-start condtion, it is faster, easier, cheaper to just replace the carburetor(list price for a new carb is < $20.)

The fuel pump is a plain-simple vacuum-type design:

fp%201%20of%202_zpshc5k3dhh.jpg

fp%202%20of%202_zpslpekwok8.jpg

Vacuum (yellow) operates the internal diaphragm, drawing fuel from the tank (pink) and then out/up (purple) to the inlet fitting on the carburetor. Check for cracks, pinched tube, any other obvious damage. Confirm all tube connections are secure with OEM clamps.

R

RANCHER

No, nothing wrong, but often, when trying to troubleshoot a hard-start / n-start condtion, it is faster, easier, cheaper to just replace the carburetor(list price for a new carb is < $20.)

The fuel pump is a plain-simple vacuum-type design:

fp%201%20of%202_zpshc5k3dhh.jpg

fp%202%20of%202_zpslpekwok8.jpg

Vacuum (yellow) operates the internal diaphragm, drawing fuel from the tank (pink) and then out/up (purple) to the inlet fitting on the carburetor. Check for cracks, pinched tube, any other obvious damage. Confirm all tube connections are secure with OEM clamps.

Thanks Robert! Very helpful. I talked to the splitter company tech-support today. They're a Honda dealer, etc. and the guy said it's
probably a clogged 'pilot screw'. He gave me a test to perform to isolate the problem to the carb. You put a soda-pop cap full of gas into the plug hole, replace the plug, and pull the starter rope. If it pops, it's the carb. So, mine did create a small pop. But I will check the pump too.

N

Nagibbi

purple is vacuum