What are the oil filters made of? GOLD

moparjoe

Threads
Did the DEAR dealer kiss you?

If not you did not get all that you paid for.
Y0u might consider thinking twice before you return.
There is a sucker born every minute. The dealership is the last place I would ever stop for anything.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Go to napa for the filter.
You can’t use a WIX/NAPA oil filter until the engine has been converted to accept standard oil filters.
Google John Deere Easy Change.

Threads
I've been working on mowers for 30 years or more and have had no problems using Fram oil filters and farm and fleet 30 weight motor oil. With the Fram filter you need the room for a longer filter and a little more oil for the larger filter. I have never had any issues with the Fram filters or the Farm and fleet oil with any mowers i have serviced. As far as the oil goes, don't believe all the hype about additives in them. I had a friend that worked at a factory that packaged antifreeze. When i asked him which antifreeze he thought was the best, he told me that all antifreeze is the same. He said it is all Ethlene- glycol. The only difference that was made when changing brands from Prestone brand to say the cheaper Peak brand, was the bottle and the color dye. Prestone was a yellow- green dye and Peak is blue. I asked him about all the additives that was supposed to be in the Prestone brand, and he told me that was a lie !!! Just false advertising ! I would imagine oils are the same. I believe, there might be a difference in synthetic and non- synthetic, but i've been using farm and fleet oil in all my vehicles for more than 40 years and no issues !! Just change the oil every 3000- 5000 miles and you're good !!!

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Well some pictures will get the point across if the OP had the Easy Change system and why a standard will just fit; unless, a conversion is installed. This the point that we are trying get across. Now the OP has never let us know if it was this filter or a standard screw on filter.
1690116648369.png1690116697027.png
The huge plug is removed before install. No threading in the center hole. As far I have seen so far this is only the E100 series mowers.

grumpyunk

Threads
Cross reference works in some cases. One particular case where it doesn’t work is on rebranded Loncin 708cc engines (Toro, Exmark, Scag, Gravely, Predator). The Super Tech ST4967 and MP4967 work. The STP S4967 Work. The FRAM PH4967, TG4967, and XG4967 work. The WIX 51394 and NAPA Gold 1394 DO NOT WORK.
Is the cross reference incorrect in the threads? filter diameter(sealing surface)? I know the filter used in a hydro must be factory as the flow is reverse. Is the flow direction swapped?
Just curious. I use non-Kohler filters on Command applications without problem. I refuse to pay Kohler's excessive markup for a medium-quality filter. FWIW.
tom

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Is the cross reference incorrect in the threads? filter diameter(sealing surface)? I know the filter used in a hydro must be factory as the flow is reverse. Is the flow direction swapped?
Just curious. I use non-Kohler filters on Command applications without problem. I refuse to pay Kohler's excessive markup for a medium-quality filter. FWIW.
tom
WIX 51394 and NAPA Gold 1394 have a convex shaped base plate. The base plate will contact the oil filter mounting flange before the O ring is compressed. The results are an oil leak at the filter.
The hydro filters DO NOT have to be factory filters. Stens, WIX, and Rotary carry hydraulic filters. Flow directions? It has absolutely nothing to do with hydraulic filters. Hydraulic filters DO NOT have check valves or Anti-Drain Back Valves. This is the primary reason why automotive oil filters Should Not be used in hydraulic applications.

upupandaway

Threads
I refuse to pay Kohler's excessive markup for a medium-quality filter. FWIW.
tom
Mower companies are not about to reinvent the wheel. They use a current standard size filter. If I can find an orange replacement for $6.50, green paint on the same filter is not worth $20.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
When it comes to green, red or any other dealer branded filter is is just the volume thing
Auto shops get filters in big boxes often several hundred at a time every week
Mower shops usually only stock retail boxed filters and would be lucky to buy a carton of 24 a month
The filter factory makes filters in batches of "economic size" so may only do 1 run of JD, Toro, Hustler etc etc filters a year
SO the mower companies have to buy the filters in lots of 5,000 to 20,000 .
These have to be paid for as they leave to dock, taken to a warehouse , stored, picks & despatched to local distribution centres then finally to the dealer.
All of this adds substantially to the cost
My wholesale for retail boxed filters is $ 14 each while a trade pack of 12 boxed filters goes down to $ 11 each , a workshop pack of 24 unboxed drops the price to $ 9 each and a manufactures pack of 144 drops the price to $ 5 each .
Warehousing & logistics add a lot more to the price of goods than most outside the transport industry would believe .