What are the oil filters made of? GOLD

waynehughes1961

Forum Newbie
Threads
What are people usi g on the 24hp briggs engines for an oil filter. Went to the deere dealer the other day. Oil and filter was nearly 100 bucks. I can have the oil changed in my car at a garage for 60

Scottcc

Threads
What are people usi g on the 24hp briggs engines for an oil filter. Went to the deere dealer the other day. Oil and filter was nearly 100 bucks. I can have the oil changed in my car at a garage for 60
Does it look like this?

Attachments

• IMG_0577.jpeg
    IMG_0577.jpeg
    31.7 KB · Views: 54

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Well it would help if we knew which JD and what motor
JD did some silly "easy change" thing a while back which I toss away and I think is what you were quoted on
As for the oil filter I fit either Stens or Rotary depending upon which was cheapest at the time from my wholesaler
Mower oil filters are dearer than car ones because there are a lot fewer made and smaller batches with less sales pushes the price up
Most US made engine will take th same oil filter so I use the B & S large & B&S small on everything with a NPT thread the decision is the available space
I do keep some thinner Kohler & Kawakasi ones for the same reason .

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Is the John Deere Easy Change Kit what you are talking about?
If so, there is a conversion kit out there.

Last edited:

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I only seen and dealt one those Easy Change kits. Whoever installed it in the first screwed up. I had to nearly destroy the filter just to get it off. Replacement went on fine. Just overly expensive for a partial oil change.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I only seen and dealt one those Easy Change kits. Whoever installed it in the first screwed up. I had to nearly destroy the filter just to get it off. Replacement went on fine. Just overly expensive for a partial oil change.
good marketing for the lazy group.

Scottcc

Threads
That’s an air filter with a foam pre-cleaner.
Oops totally missed it lol. I use the same oil filter on my 1988 V6 pickup. My dealership sells them for less than $10. I think I paid $8 for the last one. They’re the same circumference as the JD but a lot taller. So it may require a bit more oil, if you’re anal about fluid levels.

Scottcc

Threads
Oops totally missed it lol. I use the same oil filter on my 1988 V6 pickup. My dealership sells them for less than $10. I think I paid $8 for the last one. They’re the same circumference as the JD but a lot taller. So it may require a bit more oil, if you’re anal about fluid levels.
Sorry again, the toyota filter fits my motorcycle. You know that JD isn’t the only source for the same filter, and that engine is used many manufacturers. I bet you can find an oil and air filter for less than $30.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
As already posted in post #4 the Easy Change need to converted so standard filters can be use. The initial cost is about the same or a little less but is a lot less the next oil change.