Export thread

What are the oil filters made of? GOLD

W

waynehughes1961

What are people usi g on the 24hp briggs engines for an oil filter. Went to the deere dealer the other day. Oil and filter was nearly 100 bucks. I can have the oil changed in my car at a garage for 60

S

Scottcc

What are people usi g on the 24hp briggs engines for an oil filter. Went to the deere dealer the other day. Oil and filter was nearly 100 bucks. I can have the oil changed in my car at a garage for 60
Does it look like this?

Attachments

B

bertsmobile1

Well it would help if we knew which JD and what motor
JD did some silly "easy change" thing a while back which I toss away and I think is what you were quoted on
As for the oil filter I fit either Stens or Rotary depending upon which was cheapest at the time from my wholesaler
Mower oil filters are dearer than car ones because there are a lot fewer made and smaller batches with less sales pushes the price up
Most US made engine will take th same oil filter so I use the B & S large & B&S small on everything with a NPT thread the decision is the available space
I do keep some thinner Kohler & Kawakasi ones for the same reason .

M

MParr

Is the John Deere Easy Change Kit what you are talking about?
If so, there is a conversion kit out there.

StarTech

StarTech

I only seen and dealt one those Easy Change kits. Whoever installed it in the first screwed up. I had to nearly destroy the filter just to get it off. Replacement went on fine. Just overly expensive for a partial oil change.

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

I only seen and dealt one those Easy Change kits. Whoever installed it in the first screwed up. I had to nearly destroy the filter just to get it off. Replacement went on fine. Just overly expensive for a partial oil change.
good marketing for the lazy group.

M

MParr

Does it look like this?
That’s an air filter with a foam pre-cleaner.

S

Scottcc

That’s an air filter with a foam pre-cleaner.
Oops totally missed it lol. I use the same oil filter on my 1988 V6 pickup. My dealership sells them for less than $10. I think I paid $8 for the last one. They’re the same circumference as the JD but a lot taller. So it may require a bit more oil, if you’re anal about fluid levels.

S

Scottcc

Oops totally missed it lol. I use the same oil filter on my 1988 V6 pickup. My dealership sells them for less than $10. I think I paid $8 for the last one. They’re the same circumference as the JD but a lot taller. So it may require a bit more oil, if you’re anal about fluid levels.
Sorry again, the toyota filter fits my motorcycle. You know that JD isn’t the only source for the same filter, and that engine is used many manufacturers. I bet you can find an oil and air filter for less than $30.

StarTech

StarTech

As already posted in post #4 the Easy Change need to converted so standard filters can be use. The initial cost is about the same or a little less but is a lot less the next oil change.

Its Me

Its Me

waynehughes, I have been repairing mower for many years, never seen the thievery from Lawnmower shop and dealers like I see now, the American business as a whole are robbing the working people, many of them have cut back on the number of employees, cut hours or low hourly pay but get ten times what the item cost just a year ago, go to Wal Mart for an example, they have a filter that will fit you engine, wix, Fram, for about five dollars, I can look it up for you in my notes, I am beginning to hate a lot of them and hope they fail, Joe​

S

skipb

Home Depot has them for about $60.00

B

Bushbunnie

Does it look like this?
This is an air filter

StarTech

StarTech

waynehughes, I have been repairing mower for many years, never seen the thievery from Lawnmower shop and dealers like I see now, the American business as a whole are robbing the working people, many of them have cut back on the number of employees, cut hours or low hourly pay but get ten times what the item cost just a year ago, go to Wal Mart for an example, they have a filter that will fit you engine, wix, Fram, for about five dollars, I can look it up for you in my notes, I am beginning to hate a lot of them and hope they fail, Joe​

I am an independent shop and am insulted at this idea that all of us are crooks. Personally I am not. Yes I see the same out shops around me. Most are considering the customers stupid and they are not most times. But I can also see the reason behind the increased prices as I am getting hit from all sides too.

Currently I do sell at list prices using vendor provided pricing files. Some items profitable and others are sold at a lost if I order them below the free shipping levels. Being independent, having multiple sources, and a very good cross reference database I can save the customer money on parts, save money on my part, and still make decent percentage profit.

Just because for example the equipment is John Deere doesn't mean I have buy and install parts from them when the same part is available through another OEM at a lower cost.

Once you figure out where to get the same hardware, prices can come down considerably. I currently got a Toro in the shop that need some Plastite screws. Most of Toro vendors are wanting up to $4 apiece for them plus shipping but my source sold them to me for 0.79 each including shipping and I can sell at 1.60 and double my money. I make a good profit and still save the customers some or their money.

And yes I have seen some my parts cost more than double in the last few years. Many OEM are raising the prices on me but wanting me me to hold the line of the retail prices.

grumpyunk

grumpyunk

Most OEM branded filters are not made by the OEM. You can substitute regular filters such as Delco, Purolator, Rotary, Stens, etc as long as the threads match and the filter gasket will seal on the adapter. You can cross the OEM filter number to a retail brand for a more exact substitute. I had a list of crosses at one point in time. Likely one on the web. Do a search for cross match for OEM brand/part number. A few makers think their filters are made or gold, platinum, or something as they value them at about the same per oz.
tom

M

MParr

Most OEM branded filters are not made by the OEM. You can substitute regular filters such as Delco, Purolator, Rotary, Stens, etc as long as the threads match and the filter gasket will seal on the adapter. You can cross the OEM filter number to a retail brand for a more exact substitute. I had a list of crosses at one point in time. Likely one on the web. Do a search for cross match for OEM brand/part number. A few makers think their filters are made or gold, platinum, or something as they value them at about the same per oz.
tom
Cross reference works in some cases. One particular case where it doesn’t work is on rebranded Loncin 708cc engines (Toro, Exmark, Scag, Gravely, Predator). The Super Tech ST4967 and MP4967 work. The STP S4967 Work. The FRAM PH4967, TG4967, and XG4967 work. The WIX 51394 and NAPA Gold 1394 DO NOT WORK.

J

jviews12

JD screwed all new owners. They sucker you into a proprietary oil filter which costs 50-100 instead of a standard 8$ filter.

See utube video on converting to generic filter.

M

MParr

JD screwed all new owners. They sucker you into a proprietary oil filter which costs 50-100 instead of a standard 8$ filter.

See utube video on converting to generic filter.
See post #4

F

Forest#2

Did the DEAR dealer kiss you?

If not you did not get all that you paid for.
Y0u might consider thinking twice before you return.

Also this is mostly your fault.
The majority of dealers have a fixed price for oil changes.
A phone call to them will get you a price for a oil change.
If I just told them to do a oil change without knowing their price I would not gripe at how much they charged. That is called experience.

The other side of a story is a guy brought me a vehicle that Wal-Mart had changed his oil and filter and after he got home and looked at his receipt they had installed the WRONG oil.
He brought me a new filter and oil and asked me if I would change his oil and filter. The filter they installed had to be chiseled off it was on so tight the outer shell had to be peeled off in pieces. The oil pan bolt was almost stripped out. Had to use a long handle 6 point wrench to loosen the oil pan bolt.
I suggested he not go back to wally world for a oil change or any other mechanical type work such as having a flat fixed. More experience gained.

M

moparjoe

Go to napa for the filter.

M

moparjoe

There is a sucker born every minute. The dealership is the last place I would ever stop for anything.

M

MParr

Go to napa for the filter.
You can’t use a WIX/NAPA oil filter until the engine has been converted to accept standard oil filters.
Google John Deere Easy Change.

S

smallenginerepairs

I've been working on mowers for 30 years or more and have had no problems using Fram oil filters and farm and fleet 30 weight motor oil. With the Fram filter you need the room for a longer filter and a little more oil for the larger filter. I have never had any issues with the Fram filters or the Farm and fleet oil with any mowers i have serviced. As far as the oil goes, don't believe all the hype about additives in them. I had a friend that worked at a factory that packaged antifreeze. When i asked him which antifreeze he thought was the best, he told me that all antifreeze is the same. He said it is all Ethlene- glycol. The only difference that was made when changing brands from Prestone brand to say the cheaper Peak brand, was the bottle and the color dye. Prestone was a yellow- green dye and Peak is blue. I asked him about all the additives that was supposed to be in the Prestone brand, and he told me that was a lie !!! Just false advertising ! I would imagine oils are the same. I believe, there might be a difference in synthetic and non- synthetic, but i've been using farm and fleet oil in all my vehicles for more than 40 years and no issues !! Just change the oil every 3000- 5000 miles and you're good !!!

StarTech

StarTech

Well some pictures will get the point across if the OP had the Easy Change system and why a standard will just fit; unless, a conversion is installed. This the point that we are trying get across. Now the OP has never let us know if it was this filter or a standard screw on filter.
1690116648369.png1690116697027.png
The huge plug is removed before install. No threading in the center hole. As far I have seen so far this is only the E100 series mowers.

M

MParr

Anyone paying $100 for two quarts of oil and a filter or the Easy Change has money to burn.

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

Taryl did a good video on the matter

grumpyunk

grumpyunk

Cross reference works in some cases. One particular case where it doesn’t work is on rebranded Loncin 708cc engines (Toro, Exmark, Scag, Gravely, Predator). The Super Tech ST4967 and MP4967 work. The STP S4967 Work. The FRAM PH4967, TG4967, and XG4967 work. The WIX 51394 and NAPA Gold 1394 DO NOT WORK.
Is the cross reference incorrect in the threads? filter diameter(sealing surface)? I know the filter used in a hydro must be factory as the flow is reverse. Is the flow direction swapped?
Just curious. I use non-Kohler filters on Command applications without problem. I refuse to pay Kohler's excessive markup for a medium-quality filter. FWIW.
tom

M

MParr

Is the cross reference incorrect in the threads? filter diameter(sealing surface)? I know the filter used in a hydro must be factory as the flow is reverse. Is the flow direction swapped?
Just curious. I use non-Kohler filters on Command applications without problem. I refuse to pay Kohler's excessive markup for a medium-quality filter. FWIW.
tom
WIX 51394 and NAPA Gold 1394 have a convex shaped base plate. The base plate will contact the oil filter mounting flange before the O ring is compressed. The results are an oil leak at the filter.
The hydro filters DO NOT have to be factory filters. Stens, WIX, and Rotary carry hydraulic filters. Flow directions? It has absolutely nothing to do with hydraulic filters. Hydraulic filters DO NOT have check valves or Anti-Drain Back Valves. This is the primary reason why automotive oil filters Should Not be used in hydraulic applications.

upupandaway

upupandaway

I refuse to pay Kohler's excessive markup for a medium-quality filter. FWIW.
tom
Mower companies are not about to reinvent the wheel. They use a current standard size filter. If I can find an orange replacement for $6.50, green paint on the same filter is not worth $20.

B

bertsmobile1

When it comes to green, red or any other dealer branded filter is is just the volume thing
Auto shops get filters in big boxes often several hundred at a time every week
Mower shops usually only stock retail boxed filters and would be lucky to buy a carton of 24 a month
The filter factory makes filters in batches of "economic size" so may only do 1 run of JD, Toro, Hustler etc etc filters a year
SO the mower companies have to buy the filters in lots of 5,000 to 20,000 .
These have to be paid for as they leave to dock, taken to a warehouse , stored, picks & despatched to local distribution centres then finally to the dealer.
All of this adds substantially to the cost
My wholesale for retail boxed filters is $ 14 each while a trade pack of 12 boxed filters goes down to $ 11 each , a workshop pack of 24 unboxed drops the price to $ 9 each and a manufactures pack of 144 drops the price to $ 5 each .
Warehousing & logistics add a lot more to the price of goods than most outside the transport industry would believe .

R

Robusta

Also this is mostly your fault.
The majority of dealers have a fixed price for oil changes.
A phone call to them will get you a price for a oil change.
If I just told them to do a oil change without knowing their price I would not gripe at how much they charged. That is called experience.

The other side of a story is a guy brought me a vehicle that Wal-Mart had changed his oil and filter and after he got home and looked at his receipt they had installed the WRONG oil.
He brought me a new filter and oil and asked me if I would change his oil and filter. The filter they installed had to be chiseled off it was on so tight the outer shell had to be peeled off in pieces. The oil pan bolt was almost stripped out. Had to use a long handle 6 point wrench to loosen the oil pan bolt.
I suggested he not go back to wally world for a oil change or any other mechanical type work such as having a flat fixed. More experience gained.
Odd! I use Wal Mart exclusively for oil changes,have for more than twenty years. Never problem one. My logic is that I have a record from day one and if they mess up, a multibillion dollar company is not going to quibble about making it right.