What are the oil filters made of? GOLD

Its Me

Threads

waynehughes, I have been repairing mower for many years, never seen the thievery from Lawnmower shop and dealers like I see now, the American business as a whole are robbing the working people, many of them have cut back on the number of employees, cut hours or low hourly pay but get ten times what the item cost just a year ago, go to Wal Mart for an example, they have a filter that will fit you engine, wix, Fram, for about five dollars, I can look it up for you in my notes, I am beginning to hate a lot of them and hope they fail, Joe​

skipb

Forum Newbie
Threads
What are people usi g on the 24hp briggs engines for an oil filter. Went to the deere dealer the other day. Oil and filter was nearly 100 bucks. I can have the oil changed in my car at a garage for 60
Home Depot has them for about $60.00

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads

waynehughes, I have been repairing mower for many years, never seen the thievery from Lawnmower shop and dealers like I see now, the American business as a whole are robbing the working people, many of them have cut back on the number of employees, cut hours or low hourly pay but get ten times what the item cost just a year ago, go to Wal Mart for an example, they have a filter that will fit you engine, wix, Fram, for about five dollars, I can look it up for you in my notes, I am beginning to hate a lot of them and hope they fail, Joe​

I am an independent shop and am insulted at this idea that all of us are crooks. Personally I am not. Yes I see the same out shops around me. Most are considering the customers stupid and they are not most times. But I can also see the reason behind the increased prices as I am getting hit from all sides too.

Currently I do sell at list prices using vendor provided pricing files. Some items profitable and others are sold at a lost if I order them below the free shipping levels. Being independent, having multiple sources, and a very good cross reference database I can save the customer money on parts, save money on my part, and still make decent percentage profit.

Just because for example the equipment is John Deere doesn't mean I have buy and install parts from them when the same part is available through another OEM at a lower cost.

Once you figure out where to get the same hardware, prices can come down considerably. I currently got a Toro in the shop that need some Plastite screws. Most of Toro vendors are wanting up to $4 apiece for them plus shipping but my source sold them to me for 0.79 each including shipping and I can sell at 1.60 and double my money. I make a good profit and still save the customers some or their money.

And yes I have seen some my parts cost more than double in the last few years. Many OEM are raising the prices on me but wanting me me to hold the line of the retail prices.

grumpyunk

Threads
Most OEM branded filters are not made by the OEM. You can substitute regular filters such as Delco, Purolator, Rotary, Stens, etc as long as the threads match and the filter gasket will seal on the adapter. You can cross the OEM filter number to a retail brand for a more exact substitute. I had a list of crosses at one point in time. Likely one on the web. Do a search for cross match for OEM brand/part number. A few makers think their filters are made or gold, platinum, or something as they value them at about the same per oz.
tom

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Most OEM branded filters are not made by the OEM. You can substitute regular filters such as Delco, Purolator, Rotary, Stens, etc as long as the threads match and the filter gasket will seal on the adapter. You can cross the OEM filter number to a retail brand for a more exact substitute. I had a list of crosses at one point in time. Likely one on the web. Do a search for cross match for OEM brand/part number. A few makers think their filters are made or gold, platinum, or something as they value them at about the same per oz.
tom
Cross reference works in some cases. One particular case where it doesn’t work is on rebranded Loncin 708cc engines (Toro, Exmark, Scag, Gravely, Predator). The Super Tech ST4967 and MP4967 work. The STP S4967 Work. The FRAM PH4967, TG4967, and XG4967 work. The WIX 51394 and NAPA Gold 1394 DO NOT WORK.

jviews12

Threads
JD screwed all new owners. They sucker you into a proprietary oil filter which costs 50-100 instead of a standard 8$ filter.

See utube video on converting to generic filter.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
JD screwed all new owners. They sucker you into a proprietary oil filter which costs 50-100 instead of a standard 8$ filter.

See utube video on converting to generic filter.
See post #4

Forest#2

Threads
What are people usi g on the 24hp briggs engines for an oil filter. Went to the deere dealer the other day. Oil and filter was nearly 100 bucks. I can have the oil changed in my car at a garage for 60
Did the DEAR dealer kiss you?

If not you did not get all that you paid for.
Y0u might consider thinking twice before you return.

Also this is mostly your fault.
The majority of dealers have a fixed price for oil changes.
A phone call to them will get you a price for a oil change.
If I just told them to do a oil change without knowing their price I would not gripe at how much they charged. That is called experience.

The other side of a story is a guy brought me a vehicle that Wal-Mart had changed his oil and filter and after he got home and looked at his receipt they had installed the WRONG oil.
He brought me a new filter and oil and asked me if I would change his oil and filter. The filter they installed had to be chiseled off it was on so tight the outer shell had to be peeled off in pieces. The oil pan bolt was almost stripped out. Had to use a long handle 6 point wrench to loosen the oil pan bolt.
I suggested he not go back to wally world for a oil change or any other mechanical type work such as having a flat fixed. More experience gained.

Last edited:

moparjoe

Threads
Go to napa for the filter.