Tire pops off the rim

Grasswhore

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you MParr and Rivets.

I do keep the tire pressure monitored and it is not leaking. It's good when I start mowing and at some point, POP, it's off the rim! I am 300 pounds and I'm sure that doesn't help.

I did have a bead leak in that tire a few years back, I almost forgot about it. At that time I did the soapy water squirt and saw the tiny bubbles.

Now that I recall that, I bet I stretched the tire when I removed it to clean up the rim and tire mating surface. If that's true, I'm wondering if the tire sealant will make up for the stretching? I now see that "X-Tra Seal Tire Bead Sealer" comes in three different thicknesses 14-101, 14-101A, and 14-101B.

I wouldn't go through all this if the replacement tires weren't so crazy expensive. Part # 600692 (tire only) goes for $150.00. Even substitute tires are over a hundred bucks. You'd think this was a car.

Anyone find a suitable tube for this size and rim type?
My experience with tubes in a zero turn has been less than stellar. Too much sheer between tire and tube, especially on left side tire. A tube will get you going again for a while, but not a long term fix for this application.

BigTruck

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 48" Hustler Raptor SD for 9 years and over the past few years the rear tire comes off the rim, rarely but a total nuisance when it does.

I have cleaned the bead but it still happens.

I plan to pick up some bead sealant (X-Tra Seal Tire Bead Sealer 14-101) but I know that is really for pitted rims and not for tires coming off the bead.

Has anyone had this problem and, if so, what did you do to fix it? If you have had this issue, did bead sealant work for you?

I'm hoping the bead sealant has strong enough adhesive that it will act like a sort of glue and not just a gap filler.
Does it come off when you making a turn on a inclined?

GrumpyCat

Threads
While stretching a tyre is difficult, tearing the reinforcing cords inside the bead is very common on small diameter tyres
So how much tear of the cords before the rubber holding air separates and lets the air out?

I don't think it can be much.

A tube will not keep a tire on the rim if it is "stretched" (if stretching is even possible) because the stretched tire no longer fits the rim.

The O.P. needs new tires.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I would never use the green slime product but I have used a product called Flatout with great success.. Check out the literature. I purchase it on Amazon..It has Kevlar fibers in it and it is all the Military uses on everything that rolls.
The military I knew didn't slime any tire. They were all too new to have problems or were blown up by IED's.

Johner

Threads
You may be jumping to conclusions Forest#2 :). I am also 6'8" tall. That's me on the Hustler in my Avatar. I had to buy handle extensions to fit my legs under the steering arms. Yes, I could use to lose a few, but it ain't what it seems.

For what it's worth, I do have a push mower that I use in the ditches they have around my house. North Carolina's solution to drainage, but you won't catch me out there with the temps in the 90's and me in my mid 70's doing the rest of the property without a riding mower.

It is the rear tire. I check the tire pressure regularly. Hustler calls for between 10 and 12 PSI. I have a measurement between the mower frame and the floor so I'd notice even a slight loss of air pressure. It isn't tire pressure, it just goes pop. I fill it back up and it's good to go for at least a few mowings.

I'd certainly go for a inner tube before investing in solid tires. Solid tires in that size would be very expensive, if they even make them.

Small correction, the manual calls for between 8 and 12 psi, I keep it between 10 and 12.

Here's an excerpt from the manual:
----------------------
It is important for level mowing that the tires have the same
amount of air pressure. The recommended pressures are:
Drive wheels . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 8-12 psi (55-83 KPa)
Front wheels . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 8-12 psi (55-83 KPa)
I would guess the bead has been stretched at some position and just keeps creeping until it slips off the rim.

jimsrigged

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey there big guy no pun intended , I have a question when tire came off the first time had you inspected the rim you stated that it comes off in hard areas like drive way ,is there a slice on lip of tire ,you could try turning tire inward or as you said try shaping tires side to side ,but I'm thinking rim is the issue.good luck.

Big-Rich

Threads
Thank you all again.

At this point I'm at a 'wait and see' phase but I did take note of the tire pair on Amazon for $132.99 ($142.30 after tax plus mounting). I don't think I want to try mounting them myself if I may have caused this issue with my lack of proper tools.

"Wait and see" for me could be a long time if the tube helps at all. The original problem was intermittent.

Big-Rich

Threads
Hey there big guy no pun intended , I have a question when tire came off the first time had you inspected the rim you stated that it comes off in hard areas like drive way ,is there a slice on lip of tire ,you could try turning tire inward or as you said try shaping tires side to side ,but I'm thinking rim is the issue.good luck.
I did inspect the bead and rim the first few times and I'm pretty sure I introduced some debris the second time I worked on it. I took it to the shop where I bought the mower for the tube installation. I don't know, but he probably looked the rim and tire over while he was inserting the tube for me.

Marc Murphy

Forum Newbie
Threads
I've had the same thing... Fix a ratchet strap around the circumference of the tyre when partially deflated, tighten it down so it's snug and spray a bit of lubricant around the beads on both sides, inflate the tyre to recommended pressure... The ratchet strap causes the beads to push outwards against the rim as far as they'll go, might only be a few extra millimeters, but that'll make all the difference.

doug9694

Threads
I have a 48" Hustler Raptor SD for 9 years and over the past few years the rear tire comes off the rim, rarely but a total nuisance when it does.

I have cleaned the bead but it still happens.

I plan to pick up some bead sealant (X-Tra Seal Tire Bead Sealer 14-101) but I know that is really for pitted rims and not for tires coming off the bead.

Has anyone had this problem and, if so, what did you do to fix it? If you have had this issue, did bead sealant work for you?

I'm hoping the bead sealant has strong enough adhesive that it will act like a sort of glue and not just a gap filler.
Try using an inner tube.