Tire pops off the rim

moparjoe

Threads
I have a 48" Hustler Raptor SD for 9 years and over the past few years the rear tire comes off the rim, rarely but a total nuisance when it does.

I have cleaned the bead but it still happens.

I plan to pick up some bead sealant (X-Tra Seal Tire Bead Sealer 14-101) but I know that is really for pitted rims and not for tires coming off the bead.

Has anyone had this problem and, if so, what did you do to fix it? If you have had this issue, did bead sealant work for you?

I'm hoping the bead sealant has strong enough adhesive that it will act like a sort of glue and not just a gap filler.
Put an inner tube in it.

frankmulcahy

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 48" Hustler Raptor SD for 9 years and over the past few years the rear tire comes off the rim, rarely but a total nuisance when it does.

I have cleaned the bead but it still happens.

I plan to pick up some bead sealant (X-Tra Seal Tire Bead Sealer 14-101) but I know that is really for pitted rims and not for tires coming off the bead.

Has anyone had this problem and, if so, what did you do to fix it? If you have had this issue, did bead sealant work for you?

I'm hoping the bead sealant has strong enough adhesive that it will act like a sort of glue and not just a gap filler.
Bead sealant or belt dressing should be ok. Are you able to fit a tube, problem solved.

jviews12

Threads
Innertube was my first thought. Keep it simple. good luck

crferris1

Forum Newbie
Threads
I had a similar problem on a Ferris Zero Turn 44 inch mower, but with the front wheels. My problem came from sideways forces pushing the tire from the rim and breaking the bead loose. You may need to examine your mowing process/ habits. Are you contacting curbs that is pushing on the side of the tires? Are there lots of obstacles in the lawn that could exert sideways forces on the tire? Mowing across a slope instead of up and down? If you are trying to mow as close as you can to reduce the trimming, you may be making contact with things, causing forces on the side of the tire that separates the bead from the rim. Make sure your tire is fully inflated, but don't exceed the maximum pressure allowed. A last ditch effort would be to fill the tire with foam, but that makes for much more work (and expense) when the tire needs to be replaced. The inner tube is probably the best suggestion of your tire is in good enough shape that it doesn't need replacement.

rgrottk

Threads
You might try putting a tube in it.
If that don't work out for you, get a push mower that has solid rubber tires (no air) and it will help you lose some of the excess weight that you mentioned you probably need to lose.
Most generally when a tire is bead is coming loose the tire is under inflated.

Is this the front tire or rear tire?
YUP just clean the tire and the inside of the Rim (remove any weld slag) install the tube donnnnnne......!

Gord Baker

Threads
I agree to the 15psi. for both Rear Tires. Too much sealer can be slippery and it is also possible that the tire Bead has broken or weakened. Unlikely but have you checked the tire Size with the opposite side? Try rotating them from side to side in case you are mowing one way on a slope that causes the Dismount. Good Luck.

13brian

Threads
My thinking on this may be off, but without concrete knowledge of exactly why the bead is popping off; with a tube is there not a risk of the bead popping off and shearing the tube valve stem?