Engine Synthetic oil

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
I use any major brand that is synthetic other than Penns, I don't care for their products, (that's just me) and I use WIX filters. You realize Briggs contracts their oil, they don't make it themselves. Small engines particularly air cooled engines are hard on oil so you would not want to change the maintenance schedule from what the factory recommends. You realize however that most folks don't change their mower oil regularly if at all.
My last Craftsman mower lasted me 20 years and still ran great when I sold it last week. I figure I put about $100 per year into it in the last few years. Parts wear out and need to be replaced.

Yeah, B & S doesn't manufacture oil....and Craftsman(Sears) doesn't manufacture lawn mowers(my 2006 54" YS4500 was manufactured by Husqvarna....as are most Craftsman lawn tractors except the cheaper "MTD" ones). Since I was "religious" about the maintenance after spending a little over $1K on that Craftsman you can just guess how anal I will be after shelling out the bucks for a commercial ZTR:0)
I can't understand why anybody would ignore taking care of equipment unless they've got more money than they've got sense!! But like you said.....all machines eventually have parts that wear out. That's the main reason I went commercial was so that the parts wouldn't wear out until my son inherits it(then he can cough up the money for any necessary repairs:0)

Heus

Threads
Sorry to bring up a dreaded oil thread but... Can I use synthetic at my first 10 hour oil change in my 2013 Koehler Courage Pro 27hp? Or should I wait for more break in time?

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Sorry to bring up a dreaded oil thread but... Can I use synthetic at my first 10 hour oil change in my 2013 Koehler Courage Pro 27hp? Or should I wait for more break in time?

Heus,

Did you read this whole thread.......I told you the controversy of conventional versus synthetic oil had "passionate" defenders on both sides of the fence:0)
Maybe not "dreaded", but definitely has "passionate" defenders!!!!

phcaan

Threads

Seems to me that when I was researching that, Koehler wanted 50 hours on the engine before synthetic was used. I could be wrong, but that is how I remember it.

Heus

Threads
Thanks. Has anyone here switched to synthetic at the 10 hour first oil change?

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Thanks. Has anyone here switched to synthetic at the 10 hour first oil change?

You shouldn't change over until after 50 hrs. Kohler say 50hrs for break in purposes and setting up the rings seals and other parts of the engine. Personally I prefer to do and use what the manual says to use. If the manual doesn't call for synthetic I wouldn't use it.

Heus

Threads
Thanks I will wait until 50 hours. The kohler manual doesn't even mention a 10 hr oil change that I can see. It does say its ok to use synthetic. My Dixon manual is what calls for the 10 hr oil change.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Thanks I will wait until 50 hours. The kohler manual doesn't even mention a 10 hr oil change that I can see. It does say its ok to use synthetic. My Dixon manual is what calls for the 10 hr oil change.

I get both the mower manual and engine manual with my Toro's / Kawasaki and CC / Kohler ZTR's sounds like someone forgot to give you a manual when you purchased the mower, you need to go back to the dealer and pick up your Kohler Engine manual. My Kohler manual says this below

Using other than service class SJ or higher oil or extending oil change intervals longer than
recommended can cause engine damage.
Synthetic Oils
may be used with oil changes performed
at the recommended intervals. However, to
allow piston rings to properly seat, a new or
rebuilt engine should be operated for at least
50 hours using standard petroleum based oil
before switching to synthetic oil

Last edited: