Engine Synthetic oil

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
The never-ending debate with valid arguments on both sides of the fence:0)
Me, I agree with user Ric that the price of synthetics would not entice me to wait longer than 50 hours between oil changes anyway and I too don't have "money to burn" for a WEE BIT better protection with synthetics. And on straight weight versus multi-viscosity for a small engine below is a QUOTE from my Kawasaki manual:

"Using multi grade oils(5W-20, 10W-30, 10W-40) will increase oil consumption. Check oil level more frequently when using them."

Now just why in the world would a reputable engine manufacturer "spread a lie" like that?????? And it says will......NOT may and that's my story and I'm sticking to it:0)

P.S.
My previous mower's Briggs & Stratton engine manual said EXACTLY the same thing. Boys.........read your engine manuals and take heed to the manufacturer's advice.

P.S.S.
In addition I have NEVER read anything in one of my mowers' engine manuals that advised me that synthetic oils were recommended over conventional oils for protecting their engines.....just sayin'

P.S.S.
Just for the record, I use Briggs & Stratton SAE30 in my brand new Gravely with the Kawasaki FX691V Commercial engine. I'll gladly post back in 20 years just how that worked out:0)

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'm not in love with manufacturers , but the Intek does kick out 5W-30 which I like because it is just getting by the rings enough to lube the 280F cylinder walls. We will check back in 20 to see how your oil works out.:laughing:

phcaan

Threads
The never-ending debate with valid arguments on both sides of the fence:0)
Me, I agree with user Ric that the price of synthetics would not entice me to wait longer than 50 hours between oil changes anyway and I too don't have "money to burn" for a WEE BIT better protection with synthetics. And on straight weight versus multi-viscosity for a small engine below is a QUOTE from my Kawasaki manual:

"Using multi grade oils(5W-20, 10W-30, 10W-40) will increase oil consumption. Check oil level more frequently when using them."

Now just why in the world would a reputable engine manufacturer "spread a lie" like that?????? And it says will......NOT may and that's my story and I'm sticking to it:0)

P.S.
My previous mower's Briggs & Stratton engine manual said EXACTLY the same thing. Boys.........read your engine manuals and take heed to the manufacturer's advice.

P.S.S.
In addition I have NEVER read anything in one of my mowers' engine manuals that advised me that synthetic oils were recommended over conventional oils for protecting their engines.....just sayin'

P.S.S.
Just for the record, I use Briggs & Stratton SAE30 in my brand new Gravely with the Kawasaki FX691V Commercial engine. I'll gladly post back in 20 years just how that worked out:0)

I just got off the Briggs and Stratton web site and here is what they have to say about synthetic oil

"SAE 5W30 Using Synthetic oil offers better wear control of your engine, even under severe operating conditions. Since synthetics have better "inherent strength" they have the ability to keep functioning at the highest level for the longest possible time."

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
I just got off the Briggs and Stratton web site and here is what they have to say about synthetic oil

"SAE 5W30 Using Synthetic oil offers better wear control of your engine, even under severe operating conditions. Since synthetics have better "inherent strength" they have the ability to keep functioning at the highest level for the longest possible time."

They should put that in their engine manuals instead of their website.

phcaan

Threads

I agree with you on that. There is more on Synthetic oil on that site but I have to find it again, I have a hard time finding what I want on that site, I seem to go around in circles.

phcaan

Threads

I just found the section on synthetic oil on the Briggs & Stratton website I was looking for the other day I copied it for you.

Is synthetic oil approved for use?

Briggs & Stratton Synthetic Oil
We have recently modified our engine oil recommendations to state that you may now use a synthetic 5W30 or 10W30 oil in all temperature ranges. We recommend the use of Briggs & Stratton Synthetic Oil. The use of this high quality detergent oil assures compliance with Briggs & Stratton warranty requirements regarding the use of appropriate oil.

Engine break-in procedures using synthetic oil remain the same. Please keep in mind that the use of synthetic oil does not preclude you from performing your regularly scheduled maintenance (i.e. check oil, change oil, etc.)

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
I just found the section on synthetic oil on the Briggs & Stratton website I was looking for the other day I copied it for you.

Is synthetic oil approved for use?

Briggs & Stratton Synthetic Oil
We have recently modified our engine oil recommendations to state that you may now use a synthetic 5W30 or 10W30 oil in all temperature ranges. We recommend the use of Briggs & Stratton Synthetic Oil. The use of this high quality detergent oil assures compliance with Briggs & Stratton warranty requirements regarding the use of appropriate oil.

Engine break-in procedures using synthetic oil remain the same. Please keep in mind that the use of synthetic oil does not preclude you from performing your regularly scheduled maintenance (i.e. check oil, change oil, etc.)

Is that B & S oil a true "synthetic" or what is referred to as a "synthetic blend"??? I didn't think that true/pure synthetic oil was defined as a "detergent oil" but I am by no means an oil expert".

phcaan

Threads
Is that B & S oil a true "synthetic" or what is referred to as a "synthetic blend"??? I didn't think that true/pure synthetic oil was defined as a "detergent oil" but I am by no means an oil expert".
A synthetic blend is labeled as a Synthetic blend, Nothing wrong with it, in fact it is a very good quality oil.
A synthetic oil is 100% synthetic. Both synthetic and synthetic blends are detergent oils. It is very unusual to find non detergent oil now days and you would never want to use a non detergent oil in any of your modern engines, large or small.
I retired as the manage for an oil company.
Briggs says their oil is synthetic so I would assume that it is. Remember, Briggs sells both regular and synthetic oil.

Phil

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
A synthetic blend is labeled as a Synthetic blend, Nothing wrong with it, in fact it is a very good quality oil.
A synthetic oil is 100% synthetic. Both synthetic and synthetic blends are detergent oils. It is very unusual to find non detergent oil now days and you would never want to use a non detergent oil in any of your modern engines, large or small.
I retired as the manage for an oil company.
Briggs says their oil is synthetic so I would assume that it is. Remember, Briggs sells both regular and synthetic oil.

Phil

Thanks for the edification...that's what I love about these forums users that like to share their knowledge!!! Yeah, probably the main reason Briggs revised their stand on synthetics is that they sell it too:0)
I did notice that they made sure they stated "Please keep in mind that the use of synthetic oil does not preclude you from performing your regularly scheduled maintenance (i.e. check oil, change oil, etc.)". That being said, I'll bet that their "oil change schedule" remains the same for regular oil or sythetic. I think it's a given that their synthetic is a little more expensive than the B & S SAE30 oil I use, so therefore another incentive would be their profit margin:0)

phcaan

Threads
Thanks for the edification...that's what I love about these forums users that like to share their knowledge!!! Yeah, probably the main reason Briggs revised their stand on synthetics is that they sell it too:0)
I did notice that they made sure they stated "Please keep in mind that the use of synthetic oil does not preclude you from performing your regularly scheduled maintenance (i.e. check oil, change oil, etc.)". That being said, I'll bet that their "oil change schedule" remains the same for regular oil or sythetic. I think it's a given that their synthetic is a little more expensive than the B & S SAE30 oil I use, so therefore another incentive would be their profit margin:0)

I use any major brand that is synthetic other than Penns, I don't care for their products, (that's just me) and I use WIX filters. You realize Briggs contracts their oil, they don't make it themselves. Small engines particularly air cooled engines are hard on oil so you would not want to change the maintenance schedule from what the factory recommends. You realize however that most folks don't change their mower oil regularly if at all.
My last Craftsman mower lasted me 20 years and still ran great when I sold it last week. I figure I put about $100 per year into it in the last few years. Parts wear out and need to be replaced.