Engine Oil Viscosity...

benski

Threads
I've never had an issue with the detergent oils (Amsoil) that I've used in all of my machinery. And that's been 29 years (!) and counting.:eek:

Black Bart

Threads
I've never had an issue with the detergent oils (Amsoil) that I've used in all of my machinery. And that's been 29 years (!) and counting.:eek:
With that oil you won't have a problem.

If they had the modern day oil in the thirty's they would have used it.
Oil today is soooooo much better than in the past.

The engine manufactures now recommend a multi grade detergent oil.

The non detergent has no additives so it is thicker when cold that causes excess wear at start up and it is thiner when hot. Also NO ZDDP in non detergent.
Some people stay with what they learned years ago and never advance with the new technology.
Modern mowers use a filter to remove what is in suspension from the oil no reason to leave all that crude in the engine.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Any oil along those lines is probably fine. Just make sure detergent isn't uses in the oil.

Like everyone I know, I only use detergent oil in engines...
AND Non Detergent oil in older Caterpillar heavy equipment hydraulic systems....
If you use non detergent in an internal combustion engine you will eventually regret it... :smile:KennyV

oldyellr

Threads
Walmart carries the brand "Accell" (Accel?) - it's a non-detergent oil. Just look for ones that say on the bottle "non detergent." I know for sure it's at walmart.. so it's probably at auto stores too.

Note - Lawn and Garden oil is non detergent.. that's basically one of the factors that make it "lawn and garden"

Wow, I think we've beat this oil subject to death! LOL

Okay, you experts, why would you not want detergent oil in your mower? Detergent oil cleans all the deposits in your engine and holds them in suspension until you drain it. With non-tetergent oil the inside of your engine and pistons would get coated with varnish and crud settle on the bottom of the crankcase, where it would build up and not drain easily. Or is that only for small engines without an oil filter?

yoster

Threads
Again, I really need to find that article, but from what I recall (don't quote me on this), it generally said this (basically what you said):

"If the mower has an oil filter, use a detergent oi. If it does not, use a non-detergent."

I think the idea being, you don't want junk floating around an engine if it's not being actively filtered out.

Note about the Amsoil: That oil is a synthetic, so again, all of this would not apply due to reasons previously discussed (synthetics are fine).

yoster

Threads
Here's an interesting read. It explains the situation of non-detergent often being used in lawn mowers (aka "lawn and garden" oils), but then it has the OPPOSITE stance for oil filters, recommending that you DO use detergent based oils if you don't have a filter. It doesn't say why, it just says "they can benefit."

Heck maybe it's just the case of lawn equipment using this oil type for so long that it has become the 'standard' without any real rhyme or reason.

Link:
The Difference in Detergent & Non Detergent Oil for a Lawn Mower | eHow.com

Black Bart

Threads
Here's an interesting read. It explains the situation of non-detergent often being used in lawn mowers (aka "lawn and garden" oils), but then it has the OPPOSITE stance for oil filters, recommending that you DO use detergent based oils if you don't have a filter. It doesn't say why, it just says "they can benefit."

Heck maybe it's just the case of lawn equipment using this oil type for so long that it has become the 'standard' without any real rhyme or reason.

Link:
The Difference in Detergent & Non Detergent Oil for a Lawn Mower | eHow.com
The author of the article that you linked to actually has it backasswards.

He says with no filter use detergent but if you don't have a filter and use detergent then all the contaminates will stay suspended in the oil because you don't have a filter to remove it.

That is why some say if you don't have a filter use non detergent and leave the sludge behind in the engine.

With todays oils you would actually be better off to use a detergent oil in everything with or without a filter.

I have no idea what he is talking about when he states the number of cylinders dictates what oil you should use. I guess he thinks since it is a single cylinder then it is ok to abuse it because it is much cheaper to rebuild than a V8 :laughing:

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
these oil debates never fail to entertain!:laughing:

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
oh yes!..with the the new metallurgy of modern engines and components ...as well as this new gas we have to deal with [remember when gas smelled good?]...its a different ballgame...some new ideas about oil need to be integrated i think :wink: