Engine Oil Viscosity...

Black Bart

Threads
yeah!..im a believer in synthetic...one thing, besides getting the correct API rating for your machine, is the "ENERGY CONSERVING" circle label on the back..[T6 is not]..from what ive heard, E.C. is displaced easier during movement, but also is consumed [burnt] more in the cylinder
Those would be the real thin oils
My new car requires me to use 5-20 but as soon as the warranty runs out I will put a 5-30 in it.
Yes it will drop about 2 tenths of a mile per gallon but when I drive it hard the viscosity will not be like water.

I just bought a new JD Z Trak and the manual calls for 10-30 or 15-40 the 10-30 is for up to 90 degrees 15-40 is for zero to 120 degrees so the T6 5-40 is perfect. :thumbsup:

yoster

Threads
Well I put the 10W40 "For Garden Machinery" oil in, as I said I would, ran the mower for around 30 minutes doing the front and back lawns, and it worked fine.

No smoke, no vibrations, no misfiring, and no oil burning (I checked the dipstick once the engine had cooled).

Great! But, to be fair, none of things you mentioned would happen regardless of what oil you used. Oil problems don't show their face until much much later.

Jetblast

Threads
Great! But, to be fair, none of things you mentioned would happen regardless of what oil you used. Oil problems don't show their face until much much later.

Quite right. You can go too thin and away with it, but you should never go thicker than what's recommended because oil passageways are only so large and you might starve the beast. Engines are built to closer tolerances these days and 10-40 is nearly an anachronism.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Your mower can't hold more then one qt. of oil and how often do you change it once a year. Buy the best you can and use the right oil. It sure can't be a cost thing or can't you find it where you live?

WesternAuto

Forum Newbie
Threads
Any oil along those lines is probably fine. Just make sure detergent isn't uses in the oil.

oldyellr

Threads
You're not likely to find any motor oil today without detergent.

yoster

Threads
Walmart carries the brand "Accell" (Accel?) - it's a non-detergent oil. Just look for ones that say on the bottle "non detergent." I know for sure it's at walmart.. so it's probably at auto stores too.

Note - Lawn and Garden oil is non detergent.. that's basically one of the factors that make it "lawn and garden"

Wow, I think we've beat this oil subject to death! LOL

WesternAuto

Forum Newbie
Threads
oldyellr said:
You're not likely to find any motor oil today without detergent.

I know but as a mechanic that works on these daily we order oil from rotary that doesn't have detergent.

Black Bart

Threads
I know but as a mechanic that works on these daily we order oil from rotary that doesn't have detergent.
I been running mine on high detergent oil for 26 years.
How much longer will I have to wait for my engine to vanish or whatever it is that you think will happen.