Music on a Mower?

Rd05lly

Threads
I am ok with music on mower. But dont be tuned out from what you are doing. If screaming is what stops you from hitting someone you are to close.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I am ok with music on mower. But dont be tuned out from what you are doing. If screaming is what stops you from hitting someone you are to close.

You never know when some fool will come walking up to you.

I was trimming around a house and hit a lady with a rock because she came up behind me.

Rd05lly

Threads

I was trimming around a house and hit a lady with a rock because she came up behind me.

I wear ear plugs so if I never look around I would hit stuff. Cant trust hearing to save you in high noise areas whats a little more noise to keep you awake and paying attention to the job at hand.

Wildcat

Threads
I wear ear plugs so if I never look around I would hit stuff. Cant trust hearing to save you in high noise areas whats a little more noise to keep you awake and paying attention to the job at hand.

You are right. With or without earplugs, headphones or earbuds you still need to look around and pay attention to what is going on. Its okay to take a pause during work and just look around quickly and continue. Most of the time my clients would wait on us to pause work and wave us down and talk to us. Besides, I don't feel sorry for any adult who walks up on me and gets pelleted by debris. Kids on the other hand, I do feel bad but they should be watched by an adult and kept away from the mowers and a weed eaters when they are at work.

Also Rd0lly, check your messages.

D

DSepe

I use in ear earphones with ear muffs over them connected to iPhone. I also have 2 mowable acres. I don't have children at the house and next door neighbor (old couple) is about 10 acres away. So obviously your surroundings do matter when making these decisions.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads

The key word in your reply was "fool". Anyone approaching a worker on a mower should know to approach with eye-to-eye contact. My wife knows better, I have neighbors on both sides without kids(and they know better). I hope you know that you weren't responsible for that lady getting hit with a rock. Besides, I do keep my eyes open when mowing(and the likelihood of "hearing" someone approach is slim and none:0)

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads

Did you really just say this?
Like everyone does not look around when they are mowing

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
The key word in your reply was "fool". Anyone approaching a worker on a mower should know to approach with eye-to-eye contact. My wife knows better, I have neighbors on both sides without kids(and they know better). I hope you know that you weren't responsible for that lady getting hit with a rock. Besides, I do keep my eyes open when mowing(and the likelihood of "hearing" someone approach is slim and none:0)

When I am mowing I try and keep I eye on the whole yard it is not easy when I am cutting 4 foot tall weeds and looking just in front and to the side of my next pass.
You would be surprised at what I find in yards. Worst thing is axe heads.

When my wife is using the trimmer we watch out for each other. I never make a pass with the shoot towards her.
I have had thing cone out from under the mower that would have killed her.

I hit a rock 2 years ago. It hit the door on my truck and stopped at the other door.

gabowman

Threads
I bought a set of 3M ear muffs with AM/FM. I usually hear the Braves game when I'm mowing. I've cut grass for 50 years so I think I know how to pay attention even with the local radio station playing. Besides, the AT is loud enough to have on hearing protection so I'd be wearing muffs drowning out most of the sound regardless.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
When you cut your own lawn you know where every little bump is. Cutting foreclosed homes things just kinda come up out of nowhere.

Some yards are so bad I will change my blades before I cut them. Put in a old used up set.