Have to make a confession

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hey Ric,

Thanks for your comments. Some of the suggestions for forums are for brands that might have one or two members who are owners. I don't see the point of having empty sections that nobody uses as on TBN we are running into the issue of "too many forums" (although over there most forums are active).

I will say that some major additions are coming soon... things we've been working on for a while. And while they actually might not stimulate more discussions per se, they will provide valuable resources to the visitors of the site and ultimately bring more members.

What specific suggestions do you have? Say you were the admin for a day... what would you change? :biggrin:

Some of the suggestions for forums are for brands that might have one or two members who are owners.
Those suggestions for brands that may have only one or two members or owners mite bring more discussion than you mite realize.

we are running into the issue of "too many forums" (although over there most forums are active)
Imo you're not running into an issue of having to many forums, to the contrary you don't have enough to maintain interest.

There's no such thing as admin for a day. :smile: As far as making any specific suggestions,I'll keep those for the forum I'm in the process of building at the present.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to be rude but If you are the person who developed this forum you need to be the one to make the decisions and changes you see fit, not me or Kenny or JDGreen or anyone else. Remember any suggestion that I or someone else gives may not work either. :smile:

rekees

Threads
My confession - it's tough to think about lawn mowers when the grass is under a foot of snow.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
My confession - it's tough to think about lawn mowers when the grass is under a foot of snow.

I think this sums up the "slow down" in posts...
:smile:KennyV

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I think this sums up the "slow down" in posts...
:smile:KennyV

Well, Kenny, the ground isn't covered with snow everywhere, is it? Why can't members in the Front Porch tell others what they are working on during the winter? Know what I am doing today? Adding another printer to my home office and installing a new USB hub, buillding craft storage racks for my wife, slapping on joint compound for the walls in the basement bathroom I am building...there are dozens, if not hundreds, of topics that could be mentioned in the Front Porch...how many of the members are working on a winter project or two...likely lots of them.

Look at the post I made about keeping a budget...practically no comments, guess nobody else but you and I keep a budget, huh? I must agree with what Muhammed says, "you be administrator for a day" well IMO he is doing a great job here but it's the members of LMF who have to keep the ball rolling and discussions current there is NOTHING the forum administrator can do to change that, there are PLENTY of topics going around for discussion right now but nobody wants to contribute. WHY IS THAT? Shall we tack it up as apathy? :confused2::frown:

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Well, Kenny, the ground isn't covered with snow everywhere, is it? Why can't members in the Front Porch tell others what they are working on during the winter? Know what I am doing today? Adding another printer to my home office and installing a new USB hub, buillding craft storage racks for my wife, slapping on joint compound for the walls in the basement bathroom I am building...there are dozens, if not hundreds, of topics that could be mentioned in the Front Porch...how many of the members are working on a winter project or two...likely lots of them.

Look at the post I made about keeping a budget...practically no comments, guess nobody else but you and I keep a budget, huh? I must agree with what Muhammed says, "you be administrator for a day" well IMO he is doing a great job here but it's the members of LMF who have to keep the ball rolling and discussions current there is NOTHING the forum administrator can do to change that, there are PLENTY of topics going around for discussion right now but nobody wants to contribute. WHY IS THAT? Shall we tack it up as apathy? :confused2::frown:

I agree that it can be a lot of work keeping up with a forum and the people on the forum so I wish the owners luck. Remember Forums Rely on Membership Participation to be successful, it's not all on the administrator.

That said he (the Admin ) does play an important part, it's up to him to provide the Categories and Forums of interest and to give people what they expect in a forum regardless of how he feels about about a subject.

Last edited:

jenkinsph

Threads
I am a member of TBN with over 3000+ posts and feel I am an active member there. On LMF, how can I put it? Not much discussion about any thing of interest. I was hoping to learn from others about landscaping and the discussion just isn't there.:frown:

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads

This front porch thing or forum may be fine but it doesn't do anything for the forum itself and I'll give you an example. You say why can't members in the Front Porch tell others what they are working on during the winter? You made a post about keeping a budget...practically no comments and wonder why, but then you answered your own question with guess nobody else but you and I keep a budget.

Now don't get me wrong but I really don't care about your or anyone's budget or that you're Adding another printer to your home office and installing a new USB hub and the list continues and it really doesn't hold any interest to me or looks like anyone else and there in lies the problem (INTEREST) Topic's of Interest. When I signed on this morning there were 88 guest 4 members and what did they find? New threads NO just several new postings to existing threads that's it.
Now again I'm sorry if this sounds like a rant, its really not and I apologies to JD for using his post as an example but I'd like to see this forum get back to its design- a lawn mower forum not a Bull**** session.

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
This front porch thing or forum may be fine but it doesn't do anything for the forum itself and I'll give you an example. You say why can't members in the Front Porch tell others what they are working on during the winter? You made a post about keeping a budget...practically no comments and wonder why, but then you answered your own question with guess nobody else but you and I keep a budget.

Now don't get me wrong but I really don't care about your or anyone's budget or that you're Adding another printer to your home office and installing a new USB hub and the list continues and it really doesn't hold any interest to me or looks like anyone else and there in lies the problem (INTEREST) Topic's of Interest. When I signed on this morning there were 88 guest 4 members and what did they find? New threads NO just several new postings to existing threads that's it.
Now again I'm sorry if this sounds like a rant, its really not and I apologies to JD for using his post as an example but I'd like to see this forum get back to its design- a lawn mower forum not a Bull**** session.

HEY no apologies needed for what you said, and you didn't rant, but what the heck else can we do to keep discussions going...go look at TBN and the Front Porch there is LOADED with all kinds of Bull**** new threads and I don't hold it against anyone else for starting them, it's my choice to comment or agree and/or disagree with what others say....may I suggest if you want this to be strictly a lawn mower forum you begin starting new threads to keep the lawn mower topics alive??!!! There is a foot of snow on the ground, meaning I cannot do a bleeping thing outdoors for months, so WHAT ELSE can I possibly contribute other than in the Front Porch or the Snow Removal forums? So few other members start new threads... come on, LMF members, show some interest here !!!

AGAIN, NO APOLOGIES NEEDED....tell it like it is !!!!!

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads

Ric, we joined at the same time but I have 4X the number of posts you do, I'M NOT RANTING HERE EITHER, but if all the members here on LMF would start and contribute to threads like I DO maybe we wouldn't have to call this a Bull**** session. (your term, not mine)
Thats how I feel and I wanted to pass it along.

I GIVE UP ON THIS FORUM FOR NOW... SEE YOU ON TBN. :frown:

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Ric, we joined at the same time but I have 4X the number of posts you do, I'M NOT RANTING HERE EITHER, but if all the members here on LMF would start and contribute to threads like I DO maybe we wouldn't have to call this a Bull**** session. (your term, not mine)
Thats how I feel and I wanted to pass it along.

I GIVE UP ON THIS FORUM FOR NOW... SEE YOU ON TBN. :frown:

I don't doubt that you have 4x as many post than I do but at the same time I find very few things of interest here to post on, ( except fighting with Kenny about Diesel Fuel :laughing: ) as far as starting new threads the threads I have started like you get very little response or threads I would like to start have no place or forum to be started in and I've stated that concern before.

You say go look at TBN and the Front Porch there is LOADED with all kinds of Bull**** new threads and I don't hold it against anyone else for starting them and that's great but TBN is large enough to absorb there front porch, this site isn't (JMO) and I don't hold it against you or anyone else for starting the these threads because I understand what you're trying to accomplish. :thumbsup: I just don't see it happening.

Ya know when I log on here to the forum and see 7 to 10 members on line and nothing has changed much, I have to wonder about the other 80 to 90 visitors or guest that are here, What are they thinking.