Gas can nozzle gasket!

Rickcin

Threads
Might better use silicone grease if you use anything at all. Dow Corning 111 is immiscible in fuels. Lots of other uses as it is also a food grade product.
No poly for me!

squaredeal

Forum Newbie
Threads
I filter all fuel going into all tanks: mower, tractor, etc. with Mr. Funnel products as a back up to what is already suggested here. Keeping gaskets and seals in good repair by replacing worn or damaged is excellent practice.

three_jeeps

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have and eagle 2.5gal can that I've used for years, never had any expansion/contraction issues. I am looking for a steel 'Jerry' style gas can as they can be packed and secured a lot easier than the round cans. Eagle doesn't seem to manufacture a 'Jerry' style can. My google searches turn up cans from $25-60 and seem cheap.
I've found one from Wavian that seems both rugged and safe from expansion.
Anyone know if this is a good can? or suggest others? Thanks

1BUCKEYE

Threads
I HAVE BEEN USING THE SAME POLY CANS FOR 20 +YEARS, WITH NO ISSUES.
MY NEIGHBOR IS CONSTANTLY CHANGING THE GASKETS ON HIS, BECAUSE THEY BREAK. OR CRACK.... JUST LIKE THE FAUCETS IN HIS HOUSE. I'VE TRIED TO TELL HIM TO QUIT CRANKING THE FAUCETS OFF SO HARD, & STOP CRANKING HIS SPOUTS ON SO HARD. HE'LL NEVER LEARN. LOL

{ALL CAPS DUE TO HAVING ONLY ONE HAND. MUCH LESS HAND MOTION, WITH CAPS)

Steve Smith

Threads
I’ve noticed that my poly can’s flexible nozzle leaks where it’s attached to the can and after a closer look, I noticed the rubber gasket was all cracked into small pieces, some of which were missing.

Now I can only assume that some are in the container so I’m going to pour all the gas out of the container using a ”screened funnel” in order to be sure I don’t get any parts of the dried out gasket into my engines.

Im wondering how often this happens and if others check their gaskets regularly as I’m sure the contact with gas shortens their life significantly!

Also wonder if rubbing a light coat of oil on the gasket would help rather than purchasing a new nozzle every so often?

Has this happened to anyone else ???
I have given up on the poly can's. I only use Eagle brand safety cans. I just noticed that they are getting pricey. Made in America! Got to love it!

Eagle UI-50-FSG Type I Metal Safety Can with F-15 Funnel​

PGB1

Threads
I’ve noticed that my poly can’s flexible nozzle leaks where it’s attached to the can and after a closer look, I noticed the rubber gasket was all cracked into small pieces, some of which were missing

Also wonder if rubbing a light coat of oil on the gasket would help rather than purchasing a new nozzle every so often?

Has this happened to anyone else ???
All of mine did the same thing.

After trying all kinds of materials, two things that I've tried on cans and machines have been holding up for about 4 years so far:
A gasket cut from PVC shower pan liner. (Sold at some big box stores by the foot.)
A gasket made of the orange, high temperature gasket sold in plumbing aisles of hardware stores. It comes in 6" squares for a dollar or so.
At about 1/8", the orange is much thicker than the shower pan liner, so be sure there are enough threads on the can.

My father had an old-timey gas can with cork for the gasket. I wonder if some cork auto gasket material would work for you?

Paul

MarineBob

Threads
Have come across the cracked and missing pieces of the rubber gasket on fillter necks. Also have a few that the rubber gasket on the fuel cap for the riding mowers likes to drop pieces into the fuel tank which ends up in the fuel outlet plugging fuel flow. Also have to watch for the white plastic fuel tanks chipping off at the filler hole and falling in.
Same problem here on my lawn trctor. Still finding pieces of the old gasket

Canuck64

Forum Newbie
Threads
Have poly cans made in Canada, washers have cracked and fallen off, solution is replace with O rings. Actually found one of the O rings used in my Toyota oil filter is just the right size.

The O ring on the fuel filler cap for JD X300 dried out and dissapeared, may let out some fumes but does not splash out, just run without a gasket or O ring. JD does not list a O ring replacment and 1/2 hr drive each way to a hydraulic supplier.

SamB

Threads
I believe so!
I agree. There in no better can than an all steel can such as this Eagle Safety Can. This is the only gas can type that is allowed on construction sites for fueling gasoline powered equipment. They are a bit more expensive than the poly containers, but it is a one time expense. The round shape does take up more floor space. The Midwest Can Company also makes a steel can which is way better than a plastic can and takes up less room than a round can, but is a bit pricey. Lowes big box stores have Vevor brand steel gas cans for about $30.00. Good cans. Better than plastic cans.