Export thread

Gas can nozzle gasket!

R

Rickcin

I’ve noticed that my poly can’s flexible nozzle leaks where it’s attached to the can and after a closer look, I noticed the rubber gasket was all cracked into small pieces, some of which were missing.

Now I can only assume that some are in the container so I’m going to pour all the gas out of the container using a ”screened funnel” in order to be sure I don’t get any parts of the dried out gasket into my engines.

Im wondering how often this happens and if others check their gaskets regularly as I’m sure the contact with gas shortens their life significantly!

Also wonder if rubbing a light coat of oil on the gasket would help rather than purchasing a new nozzle every so often?

Has this happened to anyone else ???

I

ILENGINE

Have come across the cracked and missing pieces of the rubber gasket on fillter necks. Also have a few that the rubber gasket on the fuel cap for the riding mowers likes to drop pieces into the fuel tank which ends up in the fuel outlet plugging fuel flow. Also have to watch for the white plastic fuel tanks chipping off at the filler hole and falling in.

R

Rickcin

Have come across the cracked and missing pieces of the rubber gasket on fillter necks. Also have a few that the rubber gasket on the fuel cap for the riding mowers likes to drop pieces into the fuel tank which ends up in the fuel outlet plugging fuel flow. Also have to watch for the white plastic fuel tanks chipping off at the filler hole and falling in.
Thanks for the reply & info, I appreciate it!

B

bertsmobile1

If it is not split then you can get petrol proof O rings ( usually brown for identification or a sheet of petrol proof rubber and cut one.

I have vintage "Blitz" brand poly gas cans. No issues like described.

R

Rickcin

Interesting!

Attachments

Interesting!
Yea, I know this, old news, but these cans have been fine & still are best for me. Hot summers I burp them in the evening.

Every winter I empty them, & leave the caps only partially on, & covered by plastic baggie & gumbands, this prevents them from caving in from the cold diff temps.

R

Rickcin

Yea, I know this, old news, but these cans have been fine & still are best for me. Hot summers I burp them in the evening.

Every winter I empty them, & leave the caps only partially on, & covered by plastic baggie & gumbands, this prevents them from caving in from the cold diff temps.
I need to keep some gas throughout the winter so perhaps I should keep a metal can filled while keeping my two poly cans empty.

The poly containers will still expand & contract even when empty?

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

I have 6 of the 5gal Blitz cans I keep full and sealed for the generator. Have had them for 25 years. No problems. Too bad idiots put them out of business.

Tiger Small Engine

Tiger Small Engine

I have 6 of the 5gal Blitz cans I keep full and sealed for the generator. Have had them for 25 years. No problems. Too bad idiots put them out of business.

You can order a nozzle, cap, etc. kit on Amazon that has the needed replacement parts. I have had good success replacing bad parts and fixing leaks. Costs around $20 and fixes about 3 or 4 plastic gas containers.

R

Ronni

I’ve noticed that my poly can’s flexible nozzle leaks where it’s attached to the can and after a closer look, I noticed the rubber gasket was all cracked into small pieces, some of which were missing.

Now I can only assume that some are in the container so I’m going to pour all the gas out of the container using a ”screened funnel” in order to be sure I don’t get any parts of the dried out gasket into my engines.

Im wondering how often this happens and if others check their gaskets regularly as I’m sure the contact with gas shortens their life significantly!

Also wonder if rubbing a light coat of oil on the gasket would help rather than purchasing a new nozzle every so often?

R

Ronni

No; I’ve been mowing for 70 years and don’t ever remember having this problem. Early on all my spouts were made of cork. Now they are soft plastic; no rubber.

S

SeniorCitizen

Paint strainers work well to strain gas . Different microns are sometimes available .

The poly containers will still expand & contract even when empty?
Yes the fumes cause this..

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

Temperature change

R

Rickcin

Is that a concern?

Only if ya want the poly cans to last. Winter time my neighbors cans wrinkle up..from the cold temps. Mine for winter, are completely empty & since I leave the cap 1/2 on & baggie over it, tube & gumband, can adapt by clean venting & not crumple in At ALL.. & summer I go out & Burp the cans to release the expanded fumes.

R

Rickcin

I bought a new lid with a gasket for my poly 5 gallon gas can and decided to clean out the inside of the container since there appeared to be some minor debris/deposits.

I partially filled it with warm soapy water and shook it up well and while it was upside down, I could see water seeping out of the top seam!

No more poly cans for me!

Hope ya find the right cans for you.

R

Rickcin

Hope ya find the right cans for you.
I believe so!

Attachments

Watch pouring those, I have seen them Glug out gas.

Law57

Law57

I use Blitz cans too. I have 4-5/6 gallon, about the same number of 2.5 gallon and a couple of 1 gallon Blitz cans. No leaks - no smell or gas on hands. I look for them at auctions all the time, garage sales, on-line, etc.

I have never heard of them exploding or causing any other issues. If that's the case, I'm surprised there wasn't a recall. You can still buy the little yellow 'plugs' on E-Bay. Or at least you could a year ago.

How can a gas can that leaks be better than one that doesn't? I'll look into it. But I'm not going to stop using Blitz for some inferior product.

M

mcspeed

I use Justrite Accuflow gas cans and have for decades. They are sealed so no fumes. Have built in nozzle so no spills. I think plastic gas cans are a bad idea.

S

SamB

I use Blitz cans too. I have 4-5/6 gallon, about the same number of 2.5 gallon and a couple of 1 gallon Blitz cans. No leaks - no smell or gas on hands. I look for them at auctions all the time, garage sales, on-line, etc.

I have never heard of them exploding or causing any other issues. If that's the case, I'm surprised there wasn't a recall. You can still buy the little yellow 'plugs' on E-Bay. Or at least you could a year ago.

How can a gas can that leaks be better than one that doesn't? I'll look into it. But I'm not going to stop using Blitz for some inferior product.
I have several Midwest brand 5 gallon containers. I have had about every brand can out there through the years and this brand has been the best ones yet. The double handles are a great feature also. The spout has a "C" shaped O ring for the spout. The safety spout is better than most and I won't say this ,but they are easily defeated if one wishes to do so. Those yellow "plugs" previously mentioned are a must for the new style safety ventless cans also. However, placement and using the right drill size is critical. The drill bit will grab and jerk the drill out of your hands if you're not very careful. Plus, should you ever need a replacement gasket for the spout, Midwest will send you a new one, free of charge.

R

Rickcin

I use Justrite Accuflow gas cans and have for decades. They are sealed so no fumes. Have built in nozzle so no spills. I think plastic gas cans are a bad idea.
Justrite & Eagle metal cans are made by the same manufacturer in the same factory and I believe they are the best and safest way to store fuel.
If I hadn’t decided to wash out my poly can, I would never had know the top seam had failed so I’m really not wanting to own poly can but can’t fault others who would. They are less expensive and perhaps a bit more convenient to use.

R

Rickcin

Justrite & Eagle metal cans are made by the same manufacturer in the same factory and I believe they are the best and safest way to store fuel.
If I hadn’t decided to wash out my poly can, I would never had know the top seam had failed so I’m really not wanting to own poly can but can’t fault others who would. They are less expensive and perhaps a bi
I have several Midwest brand 5 gallon containers. I have had about every brand can out there through the years and this brand has been the best ones yet. The double handles are a great feature also. The spout has a "C" shaped O ring for the spout. The safety spout is better than most and I won't say this ,but they are easily defeated if one wishes to do so. Those yellow "plugs" previously mentioned are a must for the new style safety ventless cans also. However, placement and using the right drill size is critical. The drill bit will grab and jerk the drill out of your hands if you're not very careful. Plus, should you ever need a replacement spout, Midweat will send you a new one, free of charge.
Yes, NAPA, Tractor Supply and Amazon all sell the “Midwest” brand of poly gas containers.

The Maintenance Guy

The Maintenance Guy

I've never been a big fan of plastic gas containers but I guess it is the reality today. The early "spill proof" containers were a complete failure. You couldn't give me one of those. They have been improved somewhat now. I have found you can still order steel gas cans on Zoro. Overall I feel they are superior. Look for gas resistant o-rings or gasket material and replace whatever is giving out. Should not be a difficult fix.

R

RevB

Might better use silicone grease if you use anything at all. Dow Corning 111 is immiscible in fuels. Lots of other uses as it is also a food grade product.

G

Gord Baker

I always use a funnel with a fine screen when filling. It is difficult to find the correct size Viton '0' rings.

T

tractor23

Take a look at this gas pump. I've had two of them for four years, one for gas one for diesel. I really like them. They even shut off when the tanks full. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010GNM7H4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

R

Rickcin

Might better use silicone grease if you use anything at all. Dow Corning 111 is immiscible in fuels. Lots of other uses as it is also a food grade product.
No poly for me!

R

Rickcin

I always use a funnel with a fine screen when filling. It is difficult to find the correct size Viton '0' rings.
I use one of those as well, now!

S

squaredeal

I filter all fuel going into all tanks: mower, tractor, etc. with Mr. Funnel products as a back up to what is already suggested here. Keeping gaskets and seals in good repair by replacing worn or damaged is excellent practice.

T

three_jeeps

I have and eagle 2.5gal can that I've used for years, never had any expansion/contraction issues. I am looking for a steel 'Jerry' style gas can as they can be packed and secured a lot easier than the round cans. Eagle doesn't seem to manufacture a 'Jerry' style can. My google searches turn up cans from $25-60 and seem cheap.
I've found one from Wavian that seems both rugged and safe from expansion.
Anyone know if this is a good can? or suggest others? Thanks

1BUCKEYE

I HAVE BEEN USING THE SAME POLY CANS FOR 20 +YEARS, WITH NO ISSUES.
MY NEIGHBOR IS CONSTANTLY CHANGING THE GASKETS ON HIS, BECAUSE THEY BREAK. OR CRACK.... JUST LIKE THE FAUCETS IN HIS HOUSE. I'VE TRIED TO TELL HIM TO QUIT CRANKING THE FAUCETS OFF SO HARD, & STOP CRANKING HIS SPOUTS ON SO HARD. HE'LL NEVER LEARN. LOL

{ALL CAPS DUE TO HAVING ONLY ONE HAND. MUCH LESS HAND MOTION, WITH CAPS)

S

Steve Smith

I have given up on the poly can's. I only use Eagle brand safety cans. I just noticed that they are getting pricey. Made in America! Got to love it!

Eagle UI-50-FSG Type I Metal Safety Can with F-15 Funnel​

P

PGB1

I’ve noticed that my poly can’s flexible nozzle leaks where it’s attached to the can and after a closer look, I noticed the rubber gasket was all cracked into small pieces, some of which were missing

All of mine did the same thing.

After trying all kinds of materials, two things that I've tried on cans and machines have been holding up for about 4 years so far:
A gasket cut from PVC shower pan liner. (Sold at some big box stores by the foot.)
A gasket made of the orange, high temperature gasket sold in plumbing aisles of hardware stores. It comes in 6" squares for a dollar or so.
At about 1/8", the orange is much thicker than the shower pan liner, so be sure there are enough threads on the can.

My father had an old-timey gas can with cork for the gasket. I wonder if some cork auto gasket material would work for you?

Paul

MarineBob

MarineBob

Same problem here on my lawn trctor. Still finding pieces of the old gasket

C

Canuck64

Have poly cans made in Canada, washers have cracked and fallen off, solution is replace with O rings. Actually found one of the O rings used in my Toyota oil filter is just the right size.

The O ring on the fuel filler cap for JD X300 dried out and dissapeared, may let out some fumes but does not splash out, just run without a gasket or O ring. JD does not list a O ring replacment and 1/2 hr drive each way to a hydraulic supplier.

S

SamB

I believe so!
I agree. There in no better can than an all steel can such as this Eagle Safety Can. This is the only gas can type that is allowed on construction sites for fueling gasoline powered equipment. They are a bit more expensive than the poly containers, but it is a one time expense. The round shape does take up more floor space. The Midwest Can Company also makes a steel can which is way better than a plastic can and takes up less room than a round can, but is a bit pricey. Lowes big box stores have Vevor brand steel gas cans for about $30.00. Good cans. Better than plastic cans.

Law57

Law57

I have several Midwest brand 5 gallon containers. I have had about every brand can out there through the years and this brand has been the best ones yet. The double handles are a great feature also. The spout has a "C" shaped O ring for the spout. The safety spout is better than most and I won't say this ,but they are easily defeated if one wishes to do so. Those yellow "plugs" previously mentioned are a must for the new style safety ventless cans also. However, placement and using the right drill size is critical. The drill bit will grab and jerk the drill out of your hands if you're not very careful. Plus, should you ever need a replacement spout, Midweat will send you a new one, free of charge.
Thanks Man - I will take a look at them...

I read a couple of articles on Blitz 'incidents'... One, the guy kicked over a can, gas ran all over the floor of his garage and an open pilot light ignited the gas. Well Duh? 1) His can leaked or wasn't stowed properly. 2) storing gas near a flame? You can't fix stupid.

I keep my cans full in winter. I put the plow on my truck about this time of year. It won't see asphalt until next spring. It's now 15 years old, has only 60 K miles and zero rust. I'm very careful of where I store my gas in relation to any electrical outlet or device. I store the gas with the spout inside of the can and the yellow dot in the cover and the cover straight and tight. Don't cross thread it. Any can/spout will leak with a cross threaded cover. I'm sure I could kick over one of my Blitz cans and it wouldn't leak. Just my experience.

L

lbrac

Different subject, but still gas container related. I found that a 3/4" PVC pipe cap will fit my old Blitz-type cans that have a rigid poly spout. The PVC withstands fuel, and they are easy on/off with a twist/push/pull. The original caps seem to have a way of disappearing over the years.

L

LPowell1

I just take the spout off and use a funnel with my gas cans, diesel cans for filling mower, tractor, chainsaws, weed eaters, etc. No spillage, much easier, and less dangerous than the govt mandated safety junk.

Law57

Law57

Different subject, but still gas container related. I found that a 3/4" PVC pipe cap will fit my old Blitz-type cans that have a rigid poly spout. The PVC withstands fuel, and they are easy on/off with a twist/push/pull. The original caps seem to have a way of disappearing over the years.
Thanks, good to know. I wrote, above, that I got those little yellow spout caps on Ebay a few years ago. I don't know if they carry the spouts or not.

L

Lawn Ranger Don

I replaced my 5 gal. gas cans with these EZPour nozzles.

20210415_112145.jpg
Here I installed them.

20210415_113041.jpg
Then this happen. EZPour became EZ Leak. Gas all over the concrete patio.

20211013_154148.jpg

20211013_154114.jpg

So I replaced the EZ Leak nozzles with a red cap and now I use this pump. No spillage at all.

red cap on gas can.jpg

gas pump.jpg

(y)

S

Silviasil

I have found that orange juice and milk “cartons” make good long lasting and of course gasoline proof gaskets for gas cans gas caps etc. Just try it , what do you think?

Sounds good, I have used rubber from old tire inner tubes I cut to fit..

Law57

Law57

I have found that orange juice and milk “cartons” make good long lasting and of course gasoline proof gaskets for gas cans gas caps etc. Just try it , what do you think?
Curios - I don't have any gaskets on my Blitz cans. So I have to ask - why not use o-rings for gaskets? They come in all sizes under the sun...