Gas can nozzle gasket!

Ronni

Threads
I’ve noticed that my poly can’s flexible nozzle leaks where it’s attached to the can and after a closer look, I noticed the rubber gasket was all cracked into small pieces, some of which were missing.

Now I can only assume that some are in the container so I’m going to pour all the gas out of the container using a ”screened funnel” in order to be sure I don’t get any parts of the dried out gasket into my engines.

Im wondering how often this happens and if others check their gaskets regularly as I’m sure the contact with gas shortens their life significantly!

Also wonder if rubbing a light coat of oil on the gasket would help rather than purchasing a new nozzle every so often?

Has this happened to anyone else ???

Ronni

Threads
No; I’ve been mowing for 70 years and don’t ever remember having this problem. Early on all my spouts were made of cork. Now they are soft plastic; no rubber.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Paint strainers work well to strain gas . Different microns are sometimes available .

Lawn Addict
Threads
Only if ya want the poly cans to last. Winter time my neighbors cans wrinkle up..from the cold temps. Mine for winter, are completely empty & since I leave the cap 1/2 on & baggie over it, tube & gumband, can adapt by clean venting & not crumple in At ALL.. & summer I go out & Burp the cans to release the expanded fumes.

Last edited:

Rickcin

Threads
I bought a new lid with a gasket for my poly 5 gallon gas can and decided to clean out the inside of the container since there appeared to be some minor debris/deposits.

I partially filled it with warm soapy water and shook it up well and while it was upside down, I could see water seeping out of the top seam!

No more poly cans for me!

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hope ya find the right cans for you.