Gas can nozzle gasket!

Lawn Addict
Threads
Watch pouring those, I have seen them Glug out gas.

Law57

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have vintage "Blitz" brand poly gas cans. No issues like described.

I use Blitz cans too. I have 4-5/6 gallon, about the same number of 2.5 gallon and a couple of 1 gallon Blitz cans. No leaks - no smell or gas on hands. I look for them at auctions all the time, garage sales, on-line, etc.

I have never heard of them exploding or causing any other issues. If that's the case, I'm surprised there wasn't a recall. You can still buy the little yellow 'plugs' on E-Bay. Or at least you could a year ago.

How can a gas can that leaks be better than one that doesn't? I'll look into it. But I'm not going to stop using Blitz for some inferior product.

mcspeed

Threads
I’ve noticed that my poly can’s flexible nozzle leaks where it’s attached to the can and after a closer look, I noticed the rubber gasket was all cracked into small pieces, some of which were missing.

Now I can only assume that some are in the container so I’m going to pour all the gas out of the container using a ”screened funnel” in order to be sure I don’t get any parts of the dried out gasket into my engines.

Im wondering how often this happens and if others check their gaskets regularly as I’m sure the contact with gas shortens their life significantly!

Also wonder if rubbing a light coat of oil on the gasket would help rather than purchasing a new nozzle every so often?

Has this happened to anyone else ???
I use Justrite Accuflow gas cans and have for decades. They are sealed so no fumes. Have built in nozzle so no spills. I think plastic gas cans are a bad idea.

SamB

Threads
I use Blitz cans too. I have 4-5/6 gallon, about the same number of 2.5 gallon and a couple of 1 gallon Blitz cans. No leaks - no smell or gas on hands. I look for them at auctions all the time, garage sales, on-line, etc.

I have never heard of them exploding or causing any other issues. If that's the case, I'm surprised there wasn't a recall. You can still buy the little yellow 'plugs' on E-Bay. Or at least you could a year ago.

How can a gas can that leaks be better than one that doesn't? I'll look into it. But I'm not going to stop using Blitz for some inferior product.
I have several Midwest brand 5 gallon containers. I have had about every brand can out there through the years and this brand has been the best ones yet. The double handles are a great feature also. The spout has a "C" shaped O ring for the spout. The safety spout is better than most and I won't say this ,but they are easily defeated if one wishes to do so. Those yellow "plugs" previously mentioned are a must for the new style safety ventless cans also. However, placement and using the right drill size is critical. The drill bit will grab and jerk the drill out of your hands if you're not very careful. Plus, should you ever need a replacement gasket for the spout, Midwest will send you a new one, free of charge.

Last edited:

Rickcin

Threads
I use Justrite Accuflow gas cans and have for decades. They are sealed so no fumes. Have built in nozzle so no spills. I think plastic gas cans are a bad idea.
Justrite & Eagle metal cans are made by the same manufacturer in the same factory and I believe they are the best and safest way to store fuel.
If I hadn’t decided to wash out my poly can, I would never had know the top seam had failed so I’m really not wanting to own poly can but can’t fault others who would. They are less expensive and perhaps a bit more convenient to use.

Rickcin

Threads
Justrite & Eagle metal cans are made by the same manufacturer in the same factory and I believe they are the best and safest way to store fuel.
If I hadn’t decided to wash out my poly can, I would never had know the top seam had failed so I’m really not wanting to own poly can but can’t fault others who would. They are less expensive and perhaps a bi
I have several Midwest brand 5 gallon containers. I have had about every brand can out there through the years and this brand has been the best ones yet. The double handles are a great feature also. The spout has a "C" shaped O ring for the spout. The safety spout is better than most and I won't say this ,but they are easily defeated if one wishes to do so. Those yellow "plugs" previously mentioned are a must for the new style safety ventless cans also. However, placement and using the right drill size is critical. The drill bit will grab and jerk the drill out of your hands if you're not very careful. Plus, should you ever need a replacement spout, Midweat will send you a new one, free of charge.
Yes, NAPA, Tractor Supply and Amazon all sell the “Midwest” brand of poly gas containers.

Threads
I’ve noticed that my poly can’s flexible nozzle leaks where it’s attached to the can and after a closer look, I noticed the rubber gasket was all cracked into small pieces, some of which were missing.

Now I can only assume that some are in the container so I’m going to pour all the gas out of the container using a ”screened funnel” in order to be sure I don’t get any parts of the dried out gasket into my engines.

Im wondering how often this happens and if others check their gaskets regularly as I’m sure the contact with gas shortens their life significantly!

Also wonder if rubbing a light coat of oil on the gasket would help rather than purchasing a new nozzle every so often?

I've never been a big fan of plastic gas containers but I guess it is the reality today. The early "spill proof" containers were a complete failure. You couldn't give me one of those. They have been improved somewhat now. I have found you can still order steel gas cans on Zoro. Overall I feel they are superior. Look for gas resistant o-rings or gasket material and replace whatever is giving out. Should not be a difficult fix.

RevB

Threads
Might better use silicone grease if you use anything at all. Dow Corning 111 is immiscible in fuels. Lots of other uses as it is also a food grade product.

Gord Baker

Threads
I always use a funnel with a fine screen when filling. It is difficult to find the correct size Viton '0' rings.

tractor23

Forum Newbie
Threads

Take a look at this gas pump. I've had two of them for four years, one for gas one for diesel. I really like them. They even shut off when the tanks full. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010GNM7H4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1