Craftsman LT2000 -> Does not Start... Help Needed.

Stack223

Threads
Unplug the kill wire from the coil and check for spark again. If no them take the coil off and clean the mounting areas on the coil and engine block. Have heard this all my life but only got it to work one time. But worth the try.
No spark. In fact with that kill wire unplugged I barely get an effort out of the flywheel.

Stack223

Threads
Here is what we are working with. I'm not sure if the big box stores sell a coil pack for my mower.

Attachments

• IMG_2953.jpg
    IMG_2953.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 18

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Any good repair shop should have that coil on hand. Part number 595304

Stack223

Threads
I think that removing the kill switch thing wrecked the battery. We don't even get an attempt anymore.

Stack223

Threads
One side of the underneath of the coil was extremely dirty. I don't think it matters though. The battery is now dead.

Stack223

Threads
Any good repair shop should have that coil on hand. Part number 595304
Thanks. I think we are dead as the battery though. Lowes doesn't have it in stock and home depot doesn't appear to carry it. At 6pm on Friday, no small store is going to be open and both the small engine places here went out of business back in 2020/2021.

Stack223

Threads
I ordered the coil. Thank you for the part number. That was a big help.

I'm going to take the battery back to autozone. It may be DOA now.

Four days... about 16 hours total. Mower no start.

Stack223

Threads
Got another new battery and a new spark plug. Mower no start. I think the coil is bad. I ordered one and it will be here on Sunday.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
When I do head gaskets & valve lash I raise the front of the mower about 6" to 1'
Even 4" ( a couple of house bricks ) under the front wheels will stop the oil making a mess
Noe if that oil is thin & smells like fuel then you have a carburettor float valve not working .
By the time you get done you will be ready to start posting you tube videos .
Do not get too prissy about the "tightness" of the feeler gauge
What I usually do is slip it in then tighten the gap so the gauge can not fall out then back off slowly till it slides out under the weight of the whole set .
Way back I was at an auto show where there was a competition stand where people could set a gap with a set of feelers which was then checked electronically
About 5% of the people who tried got it correct to within 0.0001 so went in the draw for a new car and less than 20% got it to within .0005" so got a pack of detailing products .

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I think that removing the kill switch thing wrecked the battery. We don't even get an attempt anymore.
Kill wire is a ground lead and is never connected to the battery
Cranking the engine is flattening the battery