Craftsman LT2000 -> Does not Start... Help Needed.

Stack223

Threads
So it all started when I decided that I should change the oil since I had not done that in about four years. I changed the oil and replaced the battery. Used the mower twice after that and both times it started fine, ran fine for about 10-15 minutes, cut off, refused to restart, rested for 20 minutes, started again fine and ran until I was done mowing (maybe an hour).

Now it will not start. I have the spark plug and cleaned the carb (outside was dirty, inside was not). Fuel flows perfectly fine to the carb. Fuel filter isn't blocked. The engine spins but doesn't start or really come close to starting. I thought maybe I overfilled it with oil... drained the oil... added new oil (30). That didn't help. I have spent roughly 10 hours working on it over a few days. I'm out of ideas and can't start the mower. Any help?

Briggs & Straton 19.5 HP engine.
Model: 31P677
Type: 0912 G5
Code: 121019ZD

Bought the mower new in ... corrected to 2013.

Attachments

• image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    87.8 KB · Views: 33
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    71.2 KB · Views: 37
  • image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    48.5 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Pull the valve covers and check the valve clearances.

Stack223

Threads
Pull the valve covers and check the valve clearances.
This is probably very good advice, but it is also above my skill level. I wouldn't know what I was looking at.

Stack223

Threads
Pretty good video. This could very well be the problem, but that is over my level.

Reactions: KBG

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It is definately not above your skill levels
IT is just you have never done it before so it is confusing thus scary
Search You Tube for "Checking Briggs Valve Lash " or "checking valve lash on an Intek engine"
You should get 10,000 hits plus a lot of arguements over which method to use.
For the novice mechanic the factory 1/4 past TDC is the least confusing
Buy a new rocker cover gasket because yours will probably break when you remove the cover

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Then apparently the engine has been replace or you use a time machine to get the mower. The engine was built October 19th, 2012. So it is more likely you brought the mower in 2013.

Stack223

Threads
It is definately not above your skill levels
IT is just you have never done it before so it is confusing thus scary
Search You Tube for "Checking Briggs Valve Lash " or "checking valve lash on an Intek engine"
You should get 10,000 hits plus a lot of arguements over which method to use.
For the novice mechanic the factory 1/4 past TDC is the least confusing
Buy a new rocker cover gasket because yours will probably break when you remove the cover
Thank you for the vote of confidence. I removed the cover. The most noticeable difference between my mower and all the videos is my stuff is covered in oil. I figure that's fine?

I ordered the feeler gauge. And I'll work on getting the engine in the correct position tomorrow. The top valve does seem noticeably loose. And I did not break the cover.

There was also some oil on the spark plug which I think could be a problem.

Attachments

• IMG_2909.jpg
    IMG_2909.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

Stack223

Threads
Then apparently the engine has been replace or you use a time machine to get the mower. The engine was built October 19th, 2012. So it is more likely you brought the mower in 2013.

Let's keep the time machine thing between us. I just used it to get a new sales receipt. Adjusted to 2013.

Attachments

• IMG_2910.jpg
    IMG_2910.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 13

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Just that top rocker is the exhaust and lower one is the intake. Cross flow head design.

Stack223

Threads
Just that top rocker is the exhaust and lower one is the intake. Cross flow head design.
I didn’t get back to it today but a puddle of oil leaked out the front of the mower over night. I think the whole problem may have been it being overfilled with oil… or perhaps a blown gasket.

I just need to get it to work one last time.