Briggs and Stratton no oil change

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
Now as I under stand this mower is designed to go better then 12 years. Not bad for no oil changes. If brought to a dealer for yearly oil changes you will spend that much money. Now I think this mower was intended for the person that wouldn't do the yearly maintenance not someone like you.

Im talking about if I want to sell it to a consumer in my showroom.

I dont make money on selling product but more on the service.
I want repeat service for many years.
I want engines to fail and require some tlc but maybe times are changing.

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
The EXi engine was introduced to the public in October of 2014 and customers must still check and top off the oil as needed. In our shop we discussed how to handle this when the unit comes in for yearly service or tune-up. We've decided that the best service we can provide our customers is to change the oil. If asked why we are doing this when Briggs says you don't have to, we will explain the cleaning part of an oils job, which we feel will allow the engine to last longer. Yes, I know that some of you will say we are just trying to get a couple more bucks out of each of our customers, but with a business that has been around for more than 50 years and the vast majority of our customers being repeat, they trust us to do what we feel is the right thing for them. For those interested, this Press release might be of value. Read my signature.

Briggs and Stratton EXi Fact Sheet : 10 : 2014 : News : Newsroom : BASCO

I would do the same thing and change the oil.
Suck it out and good to go.
And yes I do want to sell oil to make money.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I am talking about the person that will not take the time or money to maintain a mower. The type of person that would really be better off without a lawn to mow. A lot of education but no mechanical common sense. Mower comes new with a life time supply of oil. These are the type of customers I seem to get. Also the type of person you don't think seems to exist for some reason??? but believe me they do. One of the best idea's I have seen in a long time.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Lets get into the real world. Person buys a lawn mower, Has no idea how to change the oil or cares. Not going to get there hands dirty or even has a oil pan to catch the old oil or even owns a wrench to remove the oil plug. When the mower doesn't run, buy another new one This is the average home owner that lives in my neighbor hood. They make a living pushing paper. Just because everybody are experience mechanics and own a shop full of tools on this forum not everybody has this. This is going to be the ideal mower engine for this type of person and really think that B&S knows this and coming up with something good. I have also found grease fittings are there only to let dirt in seeing this same person sure doesn't own a grease gun. All I can say it makes me money so lets keep up the good work B&S.

If small engines ever go whole hog for closed fuel systems and fuel injection the small engine repair will just about be out of business. At present, old oil problems look like puppy tracks compared to old stale alcohol fuel plugged carb problems.

panabiker

Threads
For an engine used on a homeowner's mower, this is not a big deal. For a commercial mower that runs 8 hours a day, 6 days a week, it would be a big deal. I use my mower for about 16 hours per season as recorded by the hour meter. I use synthetic oil. I have stopped yearly oil change since 2011. I do check the oil regularly and the oil is always clean and clear so I figured there is no need to change.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Now as I under stand this mower is designed to go better then 12 years. Not bad for no oil changes. If brought to a dealer for yearly oil changes you will spend that much money. Now I think this mower was intended for the person that wouldn't do the yearly maintenance not someone like you.

Yep exactly right.
designed for the clot who runs out and buys a new mower because they can not start their own one.
So I can pick it up off the roadside clean up, pry off the clogged air filter, change the plug and have another unit in the sale yard.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I would do the same thing and change the oil.
Suck it out and good to go.
And yes I do want to sell oil to make money.

Actually the 50「 profit on selling 400ml of oil will not make me rich.
Some time ago I went to a fixed price service of $ 80.00 for push mowers includes filters, oil, blades, plug , fuel lines, fuel taps, wheel bearings , starter cord ,nuts bolts & control cables that need replacing.
Self Propelled are $ !20.

I stress that this is for a service on a running mower & not a repair on a non running mower & make every one start their mower when I book them in.

For this service I guarantee the mower will run fine till the next bi-annual service and they all leave with a tank full of nice clean fuel and a big smile.
Had one come back with a clogged air filter which I replaced no charge and gave him another to tide him over till the next service. He sent both his neighbours down. I dont get that sort of benefit from the $ 100/ month advertising and this cost $ 2.5 for 2 Quantum pre filters

This shift came by accident after a fixed price home service mower repairer rang me and asked if I was interested in the mowers in this area as he does not travel this far west of the city.
These people demmanded a "Fixed rate"before they gave me the mower so I plucked a figure out of the air not much different to Peter who charges $ 75.00 and recognising I can not get the same job density.
Worked treat so I started doing it with most of my customers and am actually making more than before because every mower gets all consummables replaced regardless .
What really got me thinking was when Peter told me he was averaging 20 mowers a day in season and 8 out of season.

So yes i can see the B&S no oil change motors being a big selling point and yes I will still replace the oil in them

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yep exactly right.
designed for the clot who runs out and buys a new mower because they can not start their old one.
So I can pick it up off the roadside clean up, pry off the clogged air filter, change the plug and have another unit in the sale yard.

Yes you do understand what I am saying :thumbsup:

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
If small engines ever go whole hog for closed fuel systems and fuel injection the small engine repair will just about be out of business. At present, old oil problems look like puppy tracks compared to old stale alcohol fuel plugged carb problems.

Bring it on, I would love it. Add a lot of electronics with that also, just love that type of work.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes you do understand what I am saying :thumbsup:

The person I bought this run off "retired" to a beach front village about 3-4 hours drive from Sydney.
About 2/3 of the houses there are weekend beach houses.
So Mr & Mrs office jerk get to their "piece of paradise" find the grass is 2' tall go to the remote controlled shed door pull out the mower give it a couple of tugs.
It won't start because it is full of e10 fuel so has a gummed up carb.
They then drive 1 hour to the big box shop ( past 4 mower shops ) pull out the plastic spend another $ 300- $ 1000 on a new mower, buy a gallon of e10 on the way back mow down the jungle that arvo, have a BBQ, swim then next day pack up go back to the office and push the "dead mower" out to the street in the hope some one will remove it.
They won't take the mower in for repair because they simply MUST mow that afternoon before the guest arrive for the dinner party so do not have the time for the shop to fix it.

Over dinner they bitch on to each other about how tough they are doing it, how much the cost of living is biting into their finances and worry that negative gearing on their rental property portfolio will be removed so they will loose their tax benefits.

He has been there for a bit over 2 years and to date has picked up over 100 mowers.

A friends daughter bought 25 acres and he consulted me regards a suitable mower.
They bought a $ 800 Greenfields ( local mower ).
Two months latter boyfriend seized engine ( no oil ) so picked up the phone & bought an $ 18,000 tractor because they would deliver it the next day and he wanted to mow before he went OS for a month.
These sorts will love a no oil change mower because they never look , would not know how to fix & have more money than sense