ZTrak 425 losing power/engine cuts off in mow position

Novice-Mower

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / ZTrak 425 losing power/engine cuts off in mow position
I bought a used John Deere ZTrak 425. It does okay for the most part. However, something is wrong. Whenever I put the throttle in the "mow" position, the engine dies. When the mower has worked for me, it's with the PTO engaged and choke wide open. Even then the mower seems to be lacking the expected power. Any ideas???

Novice-Mower

Forum Newbie
Threads
I bought a used John Deere ZTrak 425. It does okay for the most part. However, something is wrong. Whenever I put the throttle in the "mow" position, the engine dies. When the mower has worked for me, it's with the PTO engaged and choke wide open. Even then the mower seems to be lacking the expected power. Any ideas???

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
A bit of clarity here please
"Choke wide open"
Is that choke in the normal running position or choke in the starting position or are you actually talking about the throttle control .
Remember you got the mower, all we got are words and people use different words to mean the same things that have different meanings to others

Novice-Mower

Forum Newbie
Threads
A bit of clarity here please
"Choke wide open"
Is that choke in the normal running position or choke in the starting position or are you actually talking about the throttle control .
Remember you got the mower, all we got are words and people use different words to mean the same things that have different meanings to others
My apologies and thanks for responding. Here's a picture that I hope explains my issue better. Everything works, though not as expected, with choke in starting position. 1000009951.jpg

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Excellent.
You have a fuel supply problem
First step is to confirm the supply to the carburettor
Remove the fuel line from the carb .
Hold it over a catch can of some sort & crank the engine.
If the supply is good you should get a strong flow the full diameter of the hose.
If it drips or dribbles then your supply problem is further back

Assuming that the supply is good then time to remove the carb and clean it