ZTR with slopes

pingzing

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just purchased a new home and I would like to purchase a new toro ss4235, but I'm worried about the two slopes i have on the sides of my home. I have a large corner lot on the end of a cul-de-sac which is a walkout and I have two slopes on each side of the house. the slopes are not too steep, but i keep hearing that ztr mowers are not very good with slopes. Can someone with a ZTR tell me if I should be worried about this? The dealers around here will not let me demo one at the house, so I would have to buy it first. I don't want to keep my push mower, so it's kind of a gamble. Any help would be appropriated.

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Check out the other threads that include ZTR and Slopes - It depends on the slope and your ZTR choice. Usually under 15 to 20 Degrees is ok with most ZTRs
You can do a search for threads that contain ZTR and Slope.

fredhargis

Threads
I have the same circumstance and don't have any problem with my Dixon, but you can always cut up and down the slope as opposed to across, that's where they can get squirrelly.

Jetblast

Threads
My solution to this problem was a Cub Cadet Z-Force S. I'd been wanting a ZTR for years, but until this design came out I was using a regular 54" lawn tractor because there was no practical way to use a mower with a free castering front end.

Steering Wheel Control Zero-Turn Riders

They handle any slope that a regular lawn tractor can. Prices run from $3600 to $6000 depending on the deck width, grade of engine, hydros, etc. that you want or need. My mowing time got cut from 2.5 hours to 1.75 hours, which was actually a little better than I expected.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have the same types of problems on several homes that I mow in sub-divisions. Most ZTR mowers as someone else mentioned will hand 15 to 20 degrees. I use a CC 48" and I have no problem with mine on slopes, as long as you do what is recommended in the manual and mow across the face of the slopes and never up and down you'll be fine.
The one thing I would tell is when mowing with a ZTR on slopes or hills of any type always turn up the hill when you reverse direction never down because in turning down you can lose control of the mower because you can't stop its momentum, it's why you never mow up and down slopes or hills.

Last edited:

Sprinkler Buddy

Threads
You should't have a problem with your slope. I can't believe they will not let you Demo one, I don't know a dealer that doesn't.:confused2:

Jetblast

Threads
How steep are they? Any chance you could post a picture?

Black Bart

Threads
IMO the slope thing and a ZTR is overblown.
With a tractor the engine sits on the front wheels a ZTR it is behind the drive tires and the driver sits over the drive tires most of the weight is on the drive tires.

I would like to see a comparison I think on a hill the ZTR will out climb a tractor no reason it won't.

Jetblast

Threads
Climbing slopes isn't too much of a problem either way. The trouble is going across slopes, along ditch banks, and down slopes, especially if the grass is a little damp. A standard ZTRs front end constantly tries to pivot to lower ground, so the uphill rear tire and the traction it can get is the only thing standing in its way.

My friend and neighbor across the street has an Exmark Lazer Z, so we tried it out on my property to see if I could buy a standard ZTR, but no dice. He owns a landscaping business and has plenty of experience, but there are many spots he wouldn't even attempt.

The long and short of it was I was going to have to push mow about 15% of my property with a ZTR, stay with a regular lawn tractor, or break the bank with an exotic commercial machine which made no sense for 2.5 acres. I could pay a lawn service for fifteen years before recouping the cost of some commercial mowers. Then the Z-Force S came out and I haven't had to use my push mower since. The best part is you can remove the deck and have a pretty sweet go kart. 9 MPH on my lawn feels like 90, especially when you get a nice four-point corner drift going. :biggrin: Seriously, the handling is insane.

Black Bart

Threads
Climbing slopes isn't too much of a problem either way. The trouble is going across slopes, along ditch banks, and down slopes, especially if the grass is a little damp. A standard ZTRs front end constantly tries to pivot to lower ground, so the uphill rear tire and the traction it can get is the only thing standing in its way.

My friend and neighbor across the street has an Exmark Lazer Z, so we tried it out on my property to see if I could buy a standard ZTR, but no dice. He owns a landscaping business and has plenty of experience, but there are many spots he wouldn't even attempt.

The long and short of it was I was going to have to push mow about 15% of my property with a ZTR, stay with a regular lawn tractor, or break the bank with an exotic commercial machine which made no sense for 2.5 acres. I could pay a lawn service for fifteen years before recouping the cost of some commercial mowers. Then the Z-Force S came out and I haven't had to use my push mower since. The best part is you can remove the deck and have a pretty sweet go kart. 9 MPH on my lawn feels like 90, especially when you get a nice four-point corner drift going. :biggrin: Seriously, the handling is insane.

If you are on a slope that bad I sure as hell would not attempt to drive a tractor on it.