Zt1 54" Slow start... hot/melting ground wire... is it the starter???

MurphreeJon

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Zt1 54" Slow start... hot/melting ground wire... is it the starter???
Started doing this a few weeks ago. On start it will act like the battery is weak.. first turn over will sound normal for a few moments but then stop before it's gone long enough to fire the engine.. after that it will make an occasional turn but not enough to fire. I was able to start a few times with starting fluid assistance. Naturally I blamed the battery and ran out ot get a new one... same issue.. just noticed too (with the seat up) that the ground wire going to the battery seems to get pretty hot while trying to start (smoking hot). Does this sound like a failed starter or should I look elsewhere. (I've visually inspected all the wires I can find and everything appears snug) I've got just over 90 hours on the mower. Thanks

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sounds like a bad battery cable
Get your car jumpers and try with the battery - jumped directly to the engine
Starter spins properly = bad ground connection or cable
Do the same with the battery + to the solenoid
Engine spins properly = bad power cable
Finally try putting the + lead directly to the starter + bolt
If that is the only one that spins the starter full speed = bad solenoid or solenoid to starter cable

MurphreeJon

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks I'll look into that

MurphreeJon

Forum Newbie
Threads
So, I waited until the hottest day of the year to go check it out. Upon getting the starter to the battery all I got was a few sparks.. when I held it for a moment I heard the starter make a slight noise, but thats all I got... (less turning than I was getting trying the key) so I'm back to blaming the starter unless I'm missing something. While holding for a long attempt 5+ seconds I started to hear a slight whistle sound as if something was heating up so I pulled back. (wasn't a spinning sound, just a high pitched charge-up kind of sound)

I can definitely hear the solenoid clicking when I turn the key. (although it's a pretty soft click)
he + lead directly to the starter + bolt

Last edited: