ZT HD44 mower

bikerider

Threads
I'm trying to replace the battery in my mower and finding conflicting fitment advice for a new battery.
Model 991160 Ser# 035232.
I found this part number at the Gravely website but other sites indicate that it won't fit.
What's the collective braintrust here say? Is this the correct battery? And are there alternative brands that fit or is there no alternative?

Thanks!

bikerider

Threads
One brand of lead acid or AGM battery as good as the next? (As long as it fits.)

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
mower batteries are more robust than ATV batteries which are more robust than motorcycle batteries which are more robust than car batteries ( excluding SUV's )
but the chemistry is the same in all types .

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Some Gravely mowers use a different battery design than the U1. If your mower is one of those, a U1 might not work. The terminal wires could be too short and there could be clearance problems, using a U1. Measure the dimensions of your old battery and compare to a U1.

Last edited:

bikerider

Threads
Some Gravely mowers use a different battery design than the U1. If your mower is one of those, a U1 might not work. The terminal wires could be too short and there could be clearance problems, using a U1. Measure the dimensions of your old battery and compare to a U1.
So post configuration aside, will any 12V 12AH battery work? Or does cold cranking amps matter?

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
So post configuration aside, will any 12V 12AH battery work? Or does cold cranking amps matter?
Clearance is something that has to be considered. The length of your battery wires is another thing to consider.
Cold cranking amps should be the same or higher than the OE battery.
Fit is critical in your situation. You don’t need the seat shorting out the battery.

Last edited:

bikerider

Threads
Clearance is something that has to be considered. The length of your battery wires is another thing to consider.
Cold cranking amps should be the same or higher than the OE battery.
Fit is critical in your situation. You don’t need the seat shorting out the battery.
Thanks for the help.
I've got the physical dimensions and the posts are nb.... both + and - are on the side. I'm really more concerned about the technical requirements so that if I buy a different battery than OEM it will work. Oh I did get a 12V12AH battery from Amazon that was advertised as being ready to go upon receipt , but only tested to 12.12V with my multimeter. I don't have a trickle charger so was thinking of returning it. Maybe I should just get a charger and call it a day.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks for the help.
I've got the physical dimensions and the posts are nb.... both + and - are on the side. I'm really more concerned about the technical requirements so that if I buy a different battery than OEM it will work. Oh I did get a 12V12AH battery from Amazon that was advertised as being ready to go upon receipt , but only tested to 12.12V with my multimeter. I don't have a trickle charger so was thinking of returning it. Maybe I should just get a charger and call it a day.
If you want good service out of a battery, keep it on a Battery Tender or similar charger. Keep the terminals free of corrosion and topped up with distilled water.