ZT-1 50" - mower will start but quits

Badknee_1

Threads
2022 model - 17RIEACL010 - has maybe 200 hours or less on it. Was mowing and it just quit. Won't start now. Replaced plugs, gas is new and fresh, made sure carb and associated parts were clean. The mower will start (with choke pulled) and run... as long as I keep the switch turned to the start mode. When I release it to run, the mower stops. Dealer is backed up, as well as local shops. What I knew about mowers... I lost after my second brain surgery in September 2022. 🙁 I hope someone can help. Thanks in advance.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Quit like you turned it off or quit like it was running out of fuel ?

Badknee_1

Threads
Sorry for the delay in replying. My dizziness really hit me this weekend. 🙁

My son in law was mowing. He said it just quit, like he had turned it off while mowing. Has plenty of fresh fuel. It just won't run unless I keep holding the starter switch to star. Thanks for the reply.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I can not find wiring diagram for your mower using the numbers provided
Could you please take a photo of the ID tag and post it ?
Sounds like a seat switch or module fault
The seat switch is ( generally ) not in the starting circuit but is in the run circuit
This allows techs like me to start the mower with no one in the seat to service the mower but prevents you getting off with the engine running & brake off or stops it if you fall off .
Could also be a bad brake switch and / or there may be a relay but I will not know till I can look at a wiring diagram
For the purpose of diagnosis you can remove the blower cover then pull the kill wires off the magneto coils
If it is a safety switch problem then the engine should start & run as normal
down side is it will not turn off if the carb solenoid is not working and you can drive away with the parking brake on which destroys the brakes .

Badknee_1

Threads
Will, hopefully, do it tomorrow. Have a funeral to attend tomorrow. Seems like that's all I do now, go to old friend's funerals. I'll be 73 on Saturday. 😢 As an undertaker's son... I've been to a LOT of funerals. Losing so many old friends. HUG your loved ones EVERY chance you get. ❤️

Badknee_1

Threads
Is this what you need? Thanks. Just realized it's still under warranty. If I can't figure it out, I'll try to borrow a friend's trailer and take it to them. Problem is loading it without it running. 🙁 Thanks!!!

Attachments

• Mower 2.JPEG
    Mower 2.JPEG
    706.4 KB · Views: 15
  • Mower 1.JPEG
    Mower 1.JPEG
    707 KB · Views: 14

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Thank you
The second photo is exactly what I needed but unfortunately I still can not get past MTD's first page so the web page must be geo locked
Cub Australia does not recognise any of the numbers so I will have to leave this to USA members

Badknee_1

Threads
Would it be legal for me to copy and post what you need on this page? If so, just let me know and I'll look for them. BTW, I've had a few university students from Australia. One of them was Adrienne Beames who was a student at Texas A&M back in the mid-70's. I tried to run with her... BAD mistake. She practiced LSD - Long Slow Distance back then. After about 5 miles... I turned around and came back. 😂

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Wellif you have a wiring diagram please post it and we will walk you through it
All I can find is an electrical parts list which simply shows the loom plus the bits that do not come with the loom .

And because of the way world maps are drawn OZ looks to be small
It is roughly the same size as continential USA with a population & economy roughly equivalent to California

Badknee_1

Threads
It's getting late here, but I'll try to find it. Thanks.