Zero turn on wet hills.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Been commercially mowing for years with Ingersoll riders and in 2008 decided to try a zero turn. It took me a year to get aclimated to this ZTR during which I got frustrated and mad at myself for buying it. Now it and I are a working team but I have had to totally change my mowing methods. It really doesn't make much difference if the grass is wet or dry a ZTR will loose traction and slide or tear up turf. I mow in the forward direction until I get to the edge of the hill and I turn the machine around and back down so I can mow forward up the hill. All forward inertia must be stopped and you must creep down the hill if you choose to mow forward. I still mow the same customers lawns that I have for years with my riders but I have to do a lot more trimming as I cannot get the ZTR into some spots that I regularly mowed with my riders. I was loosing control of the ZTR and sliding into these spots, tearing up turf and doing more turf damage trying to get out.
Bob Mac in CT:biggrin:

originalswampfox

Threads
I've done a lot of mowing on a lot of hills. No matter what type of mower I start at the bottom and mow side to side turning uphill, even if you have to do a three point turn with your ZTR's you won't tear up the turf. I've mown yards, fields and mostly golf courses.

mziegler

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well, thanks again for all the useful input. As the season has progressed and things have dried out, I am mowing about three times as much area as before and some hills I would never have tackled with my Craftsman. There is certainly a learning curve on using the Z-turn and hills have to be treated very cautiously especially when wet. I think that early in the season, this machine will still be problematic because of its weight.

But I am thrilled with this machine and treat it unlike any other tool I have ever had. Cleaning it thoroughly and greasing the 5 mower deck bearings after every use. Wow!

Mike

khr76

Threads
very old post but

Last edited: