zero turn mower tearing up yard

S. Gray Flynn

Forum Newbie
Threads
My 5 yr old toro timecutter SS5000 has just started tearing up my yard during turns, even during slow turns. Running normally every other way, no abnormal noises, tracks evenly. Tires are inflated, but I'm not sure to what PSI. Very good mower for my use, about 2.5 acres of yard.

logert gogert

Threads
there's nothing that could usually cause this issue except user error.
Is it the tires that are tearing up the yard?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It is always the drivers fault
Grass changes during the season and you have to change the way you turn to compensate for it .

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Check your tire pressures and set them to manufacturer specs, usually in the 8 to 12 psi range. It's not exactly difficult. Not tearing/scuffing turf with a zero-turn mower is all about technique. You need to avoid spinning around on the inside tire with it stationary.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
From what I read when you turn one wheel goes forward while the other wheel actually goes reverse so not to pivot on that inside wheel. But I can't run one of those things at all.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Also wouldn't hurt to check the front casters rotate freely.

Also some ZTR's don't like the gauge wheels touching the ground. Husqvarna ztrs are one I have experience turning problems with gauge wheels set too low.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
From what I read when you turn one wheel goes forward while the other wheel actually goes reverse so not to pivot on that inside wheel. But I can't run one of those things at all.
Yes, you need to reverse the inside wheel as soon as it "stalls" rather than pivoting on it. Or on soft and/or delicate turf do a 3 point turn.