Zero Turn Mower Research, Buying New-eXmark?

Tim_Ohio

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi. I'm new to zero turn mowers. Based on my research, eXmark stands out as the preferred brand used
by commercial landscape companies. Correct me if I'm wrong. Anyway, I have three acres with many
mature trees (lots of leaves-and even a hickory that drops a lot of nuts). I'm hoping all of you can throw
out your suggestions for an entry level commercial model of eXmark that you know is reliable, has very few problems
over time with regular, do-it-yourself maintenance. I prefer a deck size that will fit on my 5 x 8 ft trailer so that
I can haul it if necessary. Thank you for your input in advance.

Tim_Ohio

bkeller500

Threads
I took a good look at the eXmark Radius ZT's last summer and frankly, I was quite impressed. I avoided the Quest as it looked a little weak and I was steered away by a dealer that advised against it for my1.5 acres. The quest is probably fine for smaller yards but just didn't feel it was a viable candidate. The Radius is built stronger and appears to have more bang for the buck. I wouldn't mind owning one. But as I shopped I also took a look at Kubota and they also have some very comparable units to the Radius making them a strong contender. Then I stopped at a local Simplicity dealer and found a Courier XT. The Courier XT is a Simplicity/Ferris crossover that has some commercial qualities as well as the Simplicity deck which I felt was a better option for me. Others on this site will offer up Bad Boy, Toro, Scag and many more...all for good reasons. I think the lesson learned was to move up from entry level and go mid-range for residential use. The builds are usually stronger and the serviceability becomes a factor. Having a strong local dealer is important as well. I just checked and discovered my same Simplicity Courier XT just increased in list price by $1,000 since my purchase last August. You will likely find that due to covid, the supply chain shortage and the new freight costs, bargins may be harder to find. Take your time and go out of your way to compare brands and models and certainly jump on the seat and imagine yourself driving that model on your property. Having a very good seat and a suspension system will make mowing that 3-acres more enjoyable. Take a look at how the deck is mounted and how it is supported. Can you make the adjustments necessary to level it? Are the transaxles serviceable? Can you change the filters and fluids? The price difference between a $ 5K unit and a $ 6K in next to nothing over a 10-year + ownership. Lastly.......do you feel the dealer will be there for you over the next 5-10 years? You probably will not need parts or service very often but if you do??????? Good luck with your decision.

FlyboyX

Forum Newbie
Threads
I think Kubota makes a good machine (particularly the diesel models), but before you buy one, i would suggest taking a good look at how much replacement parts cost. for example: I presently have a diesel dixie chopper that i can buy deck spindles off of ebay for 29.00 each. the cheapest spindle i can find for my kubota deck cost 230.00 each. its not just the spindles either. take a look at the price for pretty much any part on a Kubota and compare it to just about any manufacturer. the prices will pretty much blow your doors off. other than the deck gearbox, there are very few aftermarket parts for kubota. you are mostly forced to buy from the dealer or authorized distributor. $$$$$! its like: can i at least get some lube before you take my credit card number?

NorthBama

Threads
I think Kubota makes a good machine (particularly the diesel models), but before you buy one, i would suggest taking a good look at how much replacement parts cost. for example: I presently have a diesel dixie chopper that i can buy deck spindles off of ebay for 29.00 each. the cheapest spindle i can find for my kubota deck cost 230.00 each. its not just the spindles either. take a look at the price for pretty much any part on a Kubota and compare it to just about any manufacturer. the prices will pretty much blow your doors off. other than the deck gearbox, there are very few aftermarket parts for kubota. you are mostly forced to buy from the dealer or authorized distributor. $$$$$! its like: can i at least get some lube before you take my credit card number?you
Yes you are correct Kubota parts are expensive

Ron3

Threads
If you are going to use it commercially then buy a commercial mower. If for home owner only residential mower is probability all you need. It all depends on how many hours per year you use it.