ZD 21 Solenoid problem

KirkKing

Threads
Rivet....yes, .to answer your question. Let me start from the beginning.

i purchased the old ZD21 three years ago with 2000+ hrs. Looks rough but runs like a top. I mow my 20 acre yard with it w/o issue for three years . I service It myself regularly. Eveythings good. But after a couple of months of ownership the solenoid/starter begins acting up whereas I could only get the starter to spin by jumping from the lg terminal on the solenoid to the spade terminal. I have started it that way for a couple of years now.......although there was occasion it would indeed crank and start from the switch.

So a month ago I bought a new solenoid and put it on. And that’s where the trouble has begun. So once I put the new solenoid on and found that I couldn’t put my battery cables on w/o sparks and whirring......I put my old solenoid back on so I could at least jump it across to the spade terminal to start it again BUT NO........now the old solenoid does the whirring and sparks too.

KirkKing

Threads
Rivet.......thats the way I have started the mower for three years....that is, jumping with a screwdriver. But now, I cant even put the battery cable back on the battery because of the sparks and whirring. I can’t get to the point of jumping it with a screwdriver..

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
It looking like you are going to need to replacement the complete starter.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Disassemble the solenoid and check the contact disc. There should be a small spring that pushes it away from the 2 contacts. Either the disc is fused to the contacts or the spring is not there. When the solenoid plunger pulls in it pushes the contact disc against the contacts. If the motor spins when you connect the battery without the solenoid engaging the contact disc is not being pushed away from the contacts.

KirkKing

Threads
But why would it be doing the same thing on both my old solenoid and the brand new one?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Remember I’m not there, but have you checked the key switch switch? Switch might be bad locked in the start position.

KirkKing

Threads
Don’t mind at all you asking, Rivets. Nope, it’s ok.
At this point, I’ve called my closest Kubota dealer in Monett Mo......some 60 miles away? to come pick it up as I can’t crank it over to start it/ load it. What a bummer. I appreciate yalls help though.

And this actually all began a week or so ago when I felt it time to prepare the old girl for springtime mowing (the mower....not my wife).

And I couldnt get it to start......she wouldn’t hit a lick. (And this is by jumping with a screwdriver) So I changed fuel filters and made sure the fuel pump was working..... new air filter and I even installed new glow plugs. Thats when I decided to go ahead and get a new solenoid.

I know something is shorting out somewhere. Guess I’ll leave it up to the Kubota shop. Again, thx for helping.
stay healthy and safe and God Bless

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sorry I couldn’t help more, but with these systems I wish I was standing next to you. Good Luck and stay healthy, please let us know the final results.