z5000 toro zero turn will not move forward or back

peanutbob

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / z5000 toro zero turn will not move forward or back
i bought a toro zero turn this summer and was using it when after going forward in a tight spot then reverse to get out as i went to turn the mover quit going forward or in reverse . i found a belt up under the motor that was off and put it back on as it looked like it went but it still doesnot move and smells like the belt is burning after i cpl of min trying to get it to move. whats wrong with it is it something i can fix or i have to take to a shop the manual does not list even that belt i found at all .oh and the blades engage just fine and is on a different belt all to gather .

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
the belt that came off and you attempted to put back is the drive for the hydrostat pumps, is not turning, probably due to being jammed against a belt guide, or something. At this point that belt will need to be replaced.

peanutbob

Forum Newbie
Threads
i bought a toro zero turn this summer and was using it when after going forward in a tight spot then reverse to get out as i went to turn the mover quit going forward or in reverse . i found a belt up under the motor that was off and put it back on as it looked like it went but it still doesnot move and smells like the belt is burning after i cpl of min trying to get it to move. whats wrong with it is it something i can fix or i have to take to a shop the manual does not list even that belt i found at all .oh and the blades engage just fine and is on a different belt all to gather .

thanks i will dbl look again. When i was underneath the belt looked in good shape and while in N i could turn the pulleys and belt by hand nothing seemed to be out or rubbing but then again i did smell a hot belt when i had 1st tried to move it after getting the belt on for a min or so .Is there any place i can go to see a configuration of the way the belt should be? as there is no info anywhere i can find about that belt in my paper work or that i have been able to find on line so far . dont want to try and run again till im sure its right and thats not the problem. thanks ...Bob

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You can put in your model number under the parts lookup on toro.com, and look at the hydro drive diagram, It will give you a rough routing pattern. Could of missed a belt guide, or maybe a flat spot on one of the idler pulleys.

peanutbob

Forum Newbie
Threads
You can put in your model number under the parts lookup on toro.com, and look at the hydro drive diagram, It will give you a rough routing pattern. Could of missed a belt guide, or maybe a flat spot on one of the idler pulleys.

tyvm sir will go there right now thanks for the help .

peanutbob

Forum Newbie
Threads

ok found a routing of the belt in a manual on line (thanks by the way) and i had it on right . ok with the back end lifted and in neutral the 2 pins pushed in to let the wheels move free i started the motor what i see from underneath is that the upper pulley is spining and the belt does not causeing the burning smell . i can engage the blades in an out just fine.with the gear pins pulled out so the 2 gears are engage it still does not want to move forward or back.

Dave1954

Threads
Could the pulley for the pump have sheared its pin off, letting it spin but not turning the shaft?

peanutbob

Forum Newbie
Threads
ok found a routing of the belt in a manual on line (thanks by the way) and i had it on right . ok with the back end lifted and in neutral the 2 pins pushed in to let the wheels move free i started the motor what i see from underneath is that the upper pulley is spining and the belt does not causeing the burning smell . i can engage the blades in an out just fine.with the gear pins pulled out so the 2 gears are engage it still does not want to move forward or back.

as to the pulley missing a pin .i dont think so . the pulley thats spinning is spinning hard n fast the 1st pully on the shaft coming out of the motor.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Toro | TimeCutter SS5000 - Zero Turn Lawn Mowers Click on operators manual see page 57 machine does not drive, let us know how it goes, thanks. You may want to save this as your service manual & parts list are included, download at bottom left of screen.

If your drive belt came off & you smelled it burning, it needs to be replaced, item 10 pages 10 & 11 in parts manual, may be covered under warranty.

Last edited:

peanutbob

Forum Newbie
Threads
tks .. i looked at manual on page 58 looking at that it must be that the tranny failed .. the belt looks good besides not being old so guess i need to wait for toro to reply if its covered under the warranty.