Engine Z445/w 27HP Briggs engine surge

Is your choke separate from your throttle ?

No it's fine. It's in the idle circuit. One of the passages is blocked and can't be cleaned. Only remedy is replacing the carb. I think the cause was a combination of fuel with ethanol and Stabil in it. I have switched to Sea Foam. I am just living with the problem. It doesn't do it while I am mowing just when the blades aren't engaged. It's not worth near $300 to replace the carb, when a couple years down the road I may need to do it again.
 
I think you have one of the Nikki carbs on that one Single bowl type or the wide double barrel ?????

The wide one is tricky.... Oh that is not a good number. I can't bring that number in my Briggs account.

You posted 44Q900-0110 is that correct ?

Let us know Mon Ami ~!~!
 
I think you have one of the Nikki carbs on that one Single bowl type or the wide double barrel ?????

The wide one is tricky.... Oh that is not a good number. I can't bring that number in my Briggs account.

You posted 44Q900-0110 is that correct ?

Let us know Mon Ami ~!~!

Yep! That's the one. It's large a two barrel carb. The only thing adjustable is the stop for the choke. I don't remember if that's a Briggs number or John Deere.

Merci,
Ed
 
There is one gasket you probably missed it is inside you have to take some screws out to get to it Did you have a gasket left over from the kit

I had no gaskets leftover. I have a photo record of the entire rebuild. The gasket that was mentioned in the Youtube video was changed. All parts were replaced in their original positions. And yes it is a Nikki carburetor. It's not running rich. It surges in fast idle when not under load. I don't have an ultrasonic bath to clean it in. From what I have been told by a very good Briggs tech, it probably wouldn't help anyway. But I appreciate your trying to help.

Ed
 
I had no gaskets leftover. I have a photo record of the entire rebuild. The gasket that was mentioned in the Youtube video was changed. All parts were replaced in their original positions. And yes it is a Nikki carburetor. It's not running rich. It surges in fast idle when not under load. I don't have an ultrasonic bath to clean it in. From what I have been told by a very good Briggs tech, it probably wouldn't help anyway. But I appreciate your trying to help.

Ed

You have a Governor setting problem, and it will take a very high experience carburetor person to get it right. I had the same problem on my John Deere 345 years ago and I fixed the problem with a spring like the one you have on the governor-carburetor by attaching it so the governor will not move at high idle.
 
You have a Governor setting problem, and it will take a very high experience carburetor person to get it right. I had the same problem on my John Deere 345 years ago and I fixed the problem with a spring like the one you have on the governor-carburetor by attaching it so the governor will not move at high idle.

I think you maybe on to something. Have you any pics of your solution. I have observed the governor link bounce around.

Ed
 
Back
Top