Z425 Refuses to start.....Sometimes

brianszuch

Forum Newbie
13 yo Z425 refused to start. Changed both coils and plugs. .Cleaned tank and new gas. Cleaned carb. It started fine and ran about 1 hr while I cut the lawn. Went to dealer and bought new filters. Came back and mower wont start. I did have an unusual situation. When the mower started this morning and went to RELEASE the brake, it wanted to die. also when I lowered the steering bars it wanted to die. I moved them several times and finally it stayed running while I cut grass. Now it wont start but will crank over well. Can there be a relationship between the safety cut off and cranking with no start?
 
Yes
The lap bars & the parking brake are linked to the kill wires
I think there is a relay in there but I can not remember
It sounds like you switch or relay is playing up .
The customers with the Z425's have not been in for a few years.
It is a bugger when things work really well for service techs
I only buy the JD manuals as I need them and don't have one for the Z 425
However as an owner, i would very strongly advise you to get one .
It will pay for itself the first time you use it.
Written by professionals so that a total novice can diagnose & service the mower.
Even if you can not read a wiring diagram they walk you through how to test what & where it is .
 
That is fantastic!! How do I get a manual? I saw one on eBay for mower numbers 1000001 and up Here is photo of my mower info what is my number?
 
Direct from John Deere
Technical manuals note TM = Technical manual
Select the one that is within your serial numbers as there is an early & late one .
Not that i would suggest such a thing but there is some one posting right now with a z 245 also in dire need of a manual perhaps you could Pm him and and do a deal
They are not cheap but nothing good is and really worth every cent.
You will see why I only buy them as needed
To cover all JD models I would need to spend twice my annual turn over but the 10 I have have served me very well.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top