Z425 2007 year model mower keeps shutting off when i engage the pto

jtip

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Z425 2007 year model mower keeps shutting off when i engage the pto
everytime that I engage the pto my mower turns off. I have replaced the pto clutch, new battery and just had the engine serviced and still same thing. It turns on and runs great but as soon as I pull up the pto switch to run the blades it shakes for a half a second and shuts off. Any ideas on what to do.

jtip

Forum Newbie
Threads
The engine is a briggs 23hp ohv twin v.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Start the engine, set the parking brake & get off the seat.
If the engine stops the seat switch is faulty or the wires to the seat switch are shorting to the frame.
The safety circuit is a ground circuit so if it shorts to ground there will be no tell tale release of smoke and similarly the fuse will not blow.

Are you sure the engine is turning off and not stalling ?
Slip the deck belt off & try again.
If engine does not stop then you have a deck problem that requires attention.

jtip

Forum Newbie
Threads
you don't have to be on the seat to start or run this mower as far as I know you never have. it runs great until I pull the pto switch to engage the blades then it immediately shuts the engine down. its acting like it tries to pull the blades then cuts off.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
There are two safety circuits on every mower made since the late 80's
It is L A W law to have them on every mower sold in the USA and down here for that matter.
Seat + parking brake sso idiot morons who should have been allowed to die at birth can not run themselves over with their own mower
Seat + PTO so the same 1/2 witts can not remove their hands by cleaning the discharge chute with their finger while the blades are spinning.
and on some
Lap bars + parking brake. So the average dope can not tear the brake apart by driving with the brake on
You are the one with a problem with your mower
I was the person trying to help you fix it with no information but what you type on the screen
If you would preffer to argue that carry out the simple tests we ask you to do then I can be of no help to you
If you still have the owners manual, read it
If you don't have the owners manual, download it from JD ( it is free ) and read it

President Trump will not allow my faries to enter USA air space and they can not throw the magic pixie dust required to fix your mower from here
Good bye & good luck I come here to learn & to help others learn not to argue

jtip

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am just telling you whats going on with the mower. Its my fathers mower who passed away and as long as I have been going down to his farm and using it you have never had to sit on it to start the mower. Its never been an issue until now someone who worked on it must have over ridden the switch years ago so I don't think that would be the issue now. I am going to try the pulleys this afternoon to see if that is the problem.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
On some mowers you do not need to be in the seat to start it but you do need to be in the seat to engage the PTO or the engine will cut out. Both of my Z mowers are set up that way. On some I believe you need to be in the seat just to start it? If the seat switch is malfunctioning the mower will cut out with the PTO engaged even if you are in the seat. It's a common problem. On some older mowers there is also a mercury tip switch in the circuit.