Z335e quit running

shakin street

Forum Newbie
Threads
My z335e just quit running, checked the oil and air filter all good. Went and replaced the fuel filter thinking it might be plugged, nope, still doing the same thing. I found when messing with it with out the air filter on It would start but exhaust was coming out of the intake bug time. Not familiar with these engines, but thinking it may have sucked a value. Any advice would be appreciated

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Briggs 40N series engine.

Being a Briggs v-twin it is possible no one has ever adjusted the valves and the engine has dropped a push rod. So the first thing would to pull the rocker and check the valve clearances and the condition of the valve train cylinder head wise. The rocker studs have been know to come loose too.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Pull the breather tube and see if what you think is exhaust is the crank case venting out the breather
This is usually because one of the head gaskets has blown.

shakin street

Forum Newbie
Threads
My z335e just quit running, checked the oil and air filter all good. Went and replaced the fuel filter thinking it might be plugged, nope, still doing the same thing. I found when messing with it with out the air filter on It would start but exhaust was coming out of the intake bug time. Not familiar with these engines, but thinking it may have sucked a value. Any advice would be appreciated
Thank you for the information, I will be checking it out tomorrow. Let you know what I find.

shakin street

Forum Newbie
Threads
Pull the breather tube and see if what you think is exhaust is the crank case venting out the breather
This is usually because one of the head gaskets has blown.
I will be checking it out tomorrow and post what I find, thank you

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If it just happened while you were mowing and not after you hit a rock/root or the deck clogged or some thing else that caused a sudden dead stop then the bent push rod is not the problem, it is a symptom
Your engine has overheated which has allowed the valve guide to move so the rocker bottoms out on the valve guide before the cam has gotten to full lift