YTH WOULDN'T START UNLESS HIT WITH STARTER FLUID!!!

Jpow

Threads
Would not start in spite of having less than 100 hours.

Ran like a top once I hit it with starter fluid which I know is horrible for the engine.

So after changing plugs, cleaning carburetor, changing fuel filter, replacing gas - the problem persisted. Replaced the fuel solenoid and the problem continued however, it would start and run great if you placed your hand over the solenoid hole while it was removed.

So, I simply removed solenoid, clipped the plunger off the tip, reinstalled it, installed a fuel cut out valve before the fuel filter and it now starts and runs like a champ.

Question(s): Was my new solenoid bad from the factory? Is this a design defect from Briggs and Stratton or was this the proper fix? Happy to hear from you all.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Did you check to see if you had 12V at the fuel solenoid? If not, old solenoid was probably good, you have an electrical problem.

Jpow

Threads
Yes - even replaced the battery. Snipping the plunger seems to have solved the problem.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
How did you test the voltage at the solenoid? I hope you understand that by snipping off the plunger you solved one problem, but created another one. By removing the end of the plunger you will now allow fuel to enter the cylinder and muffler, which will lead to back firing.

Jpow

Threads
"Mechanic" simply told me to change the battery - you are probably on to something here. But I think I'd rather deal with an occasional backfire then not being able to use it at all.

Jpow

Threads
I also inserted a check valve into the gas line which I open only during use and close when it is parked.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Just wanted to inform you of the consequences of your solution. You have put two bandaids on the problem, but have not fixed it. You also need a new mechanic, as this guy needs to go back to school.

Last edited: