YT 4000 will not keep running...

ajrobson

Threads
I have a Craftsman YT 4000 917248921 with Briggs and Stratton 24HP Platinum V-Twin Engine that is about 7 or 8 years old.

For several years I have been going through air filters like crazy... like once a month or even more frequent. It will overheat... engine*will seem to rev and then it dies. After it cools it will start again.*

I have changed the spark plugs, fuel filter and air filter recently but still no luck. Also tried adding something called "Mechanic in a bottle" to the fuel and that seemed to make it worse.*

It will crank over and start but won't run for long.* I will admit I have not taken precautions regarding stale gas and suspect the carb needs cleaning.*
Sears website isn't showing any parts for this thing except a grass catcher... lol.
I've never tried to clean a carb but have seen a couple of youtube videos for a YS4500 which doesn't look all that different and think I will try that.

Can't really take to a repair shop. Can't leave it running to get all the gas out since it won't run long enough. How can it be drained?
Any advice would be appreciated.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Lets start with the model numbers from the engine valve cover opposite of the fuel pump. That way we can see what setup you are running. In the mean time we can try a couple of things. Next time it dies try putting a small amount of fuel into the intake and then crank the to see if it just cranks, if it starts and then dies, or starts and keeps running. If the engine just cranks then remove one of the spark plugs and reconnect it to the boot and while having an assistance hold the thread portion of the spark plug against a good metal area on the engine to ground the plug, crank the engine over and see if you have spark at the spark plug.

It is starts and dies or starts and keeps running after adding small amount of fuel to intake report back and we can give further assistance.

ajrobson

Threads
Thanks for the response and sorry about inadequate info. I will find those as well as trying what you suggest.

Thanks again

ajrobson

Threads
The engine model number 445677 2188 G5

When I was getting that I noticed that the vacuum tube for the fuel pump was off. This prob happened when I removed the housing earlier to see if there was a lot of dirt (there wasn't).

Currently I am charging the battery for a bit as it's about 40 deg here.

When you say add some fuel into the intake I assume you mean inside where the air filter is. Yes, I am stupid.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes, where the air filter is. Maybe 1/2 to 1 ounce or so and see what happens when cranked.

ajrobson

Threads
I squirted a couple of eye droppers in there, replaced filter and cover and it started right up. In a tune-up kit I bought there is a fuel pump along with a fuel shut off valve. The fuel filter is only a week old which did get it running when I installed it. I've never drained the gas tank for the winter so I suspect that might be causing problems.

ajrobson

Threads
Update: Installed the new fuel pump, fired it up and ran no problem until I shut it off after about 30 min. It still kinda sounds like some small backfires.. but seemed to be getting better with time. I'll try some more mowing after lunch. Thanks for the suggestions.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Last edited: