Your favorite, most dependable tachometer

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
I really need one. The shop I used to work at had a hand held wireless Echo tachometer that you just put close to the plug wire and it gave a reading. I'm looking to buy one of those. Amazon has a Rotary brand, like the Echo for like $60. But I thought I'd see what you guys are using before I bought anything.

1585146400248.png

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
oh yeah speaking of RPM ( i know this isn't the thread but i just need to say this ) my rear engined mower, is revving a 1/4 throttle what it SHOULD rev at full throttle,i think something may be wrong with my governor, i figured this out when i went to cut grass and i turned the engine on, then i went to cut the grass, i slowly moved it up and i went to half throttle and it was revving REALLY high, so i just moved the throttle to what it should be if it was working properly, but i still think it was reviving to high because it drank a little less than a gallon of gas after cutting for 45 min, and the exaughst was orange, what do y'all think is happening?? ( i know I'm not supposed to post here but if you guys want me to i can just make another thread )

LOL.. You know this should have it's own thread, but you put it here anyways.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have a few different wireless ones. Here is my favorite.
Best i have found for chainsaws. Will do 2 and 4 cycle engines
I have this one too.
It is OK but the first one is way better

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Way to screw up a thread Logan, stick to the very little you know. We use the Echo one you show in your post. I personally use a VibraTach which I learned how to use 50 years ago. It does have a learning curve to it, but once you understand how it works, can be used for many other things. 2 & 4 cycle, hertz, electric motors, etc.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Way to screw up a thread Logan, stick to the very little you know. We use the Echo one you show in your post. I personally use a VibraTach which I learned how to use 50 years ago. It does have a learning curve to it, but once you understand how it works, can be used for many other things. 2 & 4 cycle, hertz, electric motors, etc.

The tach I pictured, was easy peasy. The shop owner trusted it. It never failed him. Worst case scenario, he's have to pull it away from the engine for a seconds and then put it back close to the plug.
I suppose it's not rocket science. At least not until you get into the things you're talking about with electric motors.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I know that it is easy to use, have one in the shop. You asked for most favorable and dependable tach. The one I use is my favorite and because it needs no power source, is one that has never failed me. Yours is easiest to use.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
When I bought the business it came with one of these wireless tachos don't know where he got it from.
Since then I have bought a tiny tach because it is tiny & fits in the service tool box .
The big one is easier to use because it is not as sensitive as the tiny tach so does not go OL if you get it too close and of course a moving needle is easier to adjust with than numbers flashing faster than you can read them .
So it is tiny for checking and big for adjusting .
Been wanting to get a mechanical one just to check the accuracy but all of my suppliers have dropped them from their catalogues.