Yazoo Zero Turn Model: ZBIQL48182 Issue with starter operation

wildphil

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Yazoo Zero Turn Model: ZBIQL48182 Issue with starter operation
My mower has been acting up for the last several lawn mowing sessions. Up until it finally failed to start the problem would clear up before I could trouble shoot and repair the problem. On the last occasion, I did go ahead and replace the solenoid. But that was just throwing a part at it.

When I started the trouble isolation, I had been unable to locate a wire diagram(I have found a wire diagram at this time). So I started at the solenoid. The large terminal from the battery has 12 volts. The small terminal did not receive any voltage when the ignition was turned to the start position.

So I traced that wire to the park brake switch. No voltage on either side of that switch. The next location turned out to be the left steering control lever switch. The switch is mounted in a location that is not readily accessible. So I unplugged the connector and tested for voltage there. And I did get voltage on the wire there. For testing purposes, I placed a jumper on the back side of the connector and plugged the connector back in place. My reason for this being. The connector is a four position connector. And has two circuits. I believe it has the circuit for start position on the steering control and the other circuit I do not know right now of its function. But I wanted to make sure it was connected.

After placing the jumper I still did not get any voltage to the small terminal at the solenoid. After verifying my jumper had continuity. I found that the brake switch on this circuit was also bad. It also was a four pole connector with two circuits. My circuit being open in the switch the other circuit was good. So I went ahead and placed a jumper on the back side of the connector on my circuit.

Now when the ignition is set in the start position 12 volts is measured at the small terminal on the solenoid. But the starter does not do anything. What could be the problem? I would think it should engage the starter if the solenoid was good.

Edit: I have a link to the owners manual. On page 15 is the wiring diagram. On the work so fat it has been correct for my mower. I will test the ground on the solenoid and read through the link you supplied. Thank you for the info so far.

http://www.yazookees.com/ddoc/YAZO/YAZO2002_USen/YAZO2002_USen_105291R06_.pdf

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You might like to check out a similar problem is a Husky & Dixon forum
http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/showthread.php/47586-Yahoo-Kees-48-in-model-48172
To be of any help we will also need a copy of the wiring diagram that you are using so please post it.
If it is a pdf use the attachment button , if it is a photo/image then use the picture button.

If you have a 3 pole solenoid ( two big bolt on & one small usually spade ) then the solenoid makes the ground contact via the body of the solenoid.
Run a jumper from the battery - to the solenoid body when it is getting 12 V on the trigger wire.
IF it energises and energises the starter motor you have a bad ground, either on the mower itself or on the solenoid.

The other wires on those switches , the black , or brown ones are kill wires that ground the magneto.
If you have accidentially sent 12 V down them then the control chip in the magneto will be fried.
When jumping switches it is very important to remove the kill wires from the coils to prevent this happening.
Even the signal from some cheap ohm meters can fry the chip.

So do not be surprised if you no longer have a spark.
Also take note without the kill wires connected you are relying on the fuel shut off solenoid to turn the engine off.

wildphil

Forum Newbie
Threads
I will do my best to get back on this issue this afternoon. The grounding on the circuit is a good idea to check. I read the post from the link. That thread contains helpful info.

wildphil

Forum Newbie
Threads
Update: starter now functions. The last problem was the new Briggs solenoid being defective. It only lasted for two grass cutting sessions.

One of the bolt holes for a starter bolt is stripped. So I will have to tap it out or heli-coil it and the mower should be usable. Although it does have an oil leak. Need to take care of that soon.