Yardman 4140 ignition switch wiring

jbenny2

Forum Newbie
My Yardman 4140 wouldn't start the other day. It was completely dead not even cranking. Checked the battery and shower 12.8V. So looked for a fuse which was behind the dash, and was ok. I noticed the ignition switch terminals looked a bit corroded so took off the wires and cleaned them re assembled and it cranked but on the 1st position of the key switch not the 2nd. I took a photo of the wires before I took it apart and double checked it and I had put them back in the same place as they came off. I also noticed a couple of spares wires not connected and new crimp connectors, so looks like its been messed around with before I got it but has worked fine for me for 2 years up till now. The key then snapped off in the ignition switch so I ordered a new one exactly the same 6 pin terminal and when I just connected it. It cranks and fires when you turn the key to position 1 but the starter keeps spinning, if you turn to position 2 is stop the starter and the engine dies. If you try and turn it off and remove the key it starts and runs fine ?? I've found a wiring diagram online which matches mine but most of the wires are different. I'm also confused by the 3 wires going to the engine a green to the magneto, coil or spark unit at the front of the engine, and a red and yellow that seem to vanish into the centre of the engine which I assume are the alternator outputs for charging the battery. Can anyone offer any hints or suggestions?
 
Back
Top