Mower deck XT1 50" Mower deck

tbeals13

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a nearly new XT1, got it last year and has around 12 hours on it. I had to take it in once last fall because it threw the pto belt. I did not mow with it the rest of the fall, used it once this spring to mow (my son also has an LT 1042 and he is old enough to handle the mowing duties, so mine doesnt get used as much) and it threw the belt again. This time, rather than loading it up and taking it to the shop I disengaged the deck and pulled it out from under the tractor to see what was happening.

I dont know how to post pics here, I am aware that they would help. I did look in the manual too, but the first step in removing the deck mentions loosening the engine pulley keeper rod, which is not present on these tractors - I checked similar machines at the local Home Depot to be sure - so I am not sure I can even trust the manual.

Here is my issue. On the back of the deck, there are two vertically mounted posts that help attach the deck to tractor and allow it to be raised and lowered. Sitting just in front of the left (driver's side, if you will" post is a pulley mounted on top of a "V" shaped piece of metal. The pulley sits atop one of the tips of the V, the base of the V has the screw that mounts the V to the deck and allows it to pivot, the other point of the V attaches to a long spring which anchors back near the other upright (Passenger side).

On my deck, the point of the V attached to the spring is sitting between the two posts. This only allows the pulley to travel a minimal distance forward, and does not allow the belt to travel a straight line from the far left to the far right blade spindle. Figure 7-10 (on page 29 of my operators manual, form 769-10184D) shows this point of the V being located left and forward of the vertical post, allowing the pulley to move to a location forward of the blade spindle (but still slightly behind the middle blade spindle). The problem I am having is that in order for this to happen, the spring would have to be stretched beyond the length I think I can stretch it, and there is not a mechanism keeping that V shaped piece from falling back against the upright.

For what it is worth, I did get down and look under the xt1 models with the 50 inch decks at the local home depot, and their springs do appear to be stretched to cover a distance of around 18 inches. My spring is only covering about 12 inches. I didnt look, however, at that time to see where the v shaped piece was resting - whether it was against the upright or if there is another mechanism somehow holding it.

If anyone can offer insight I would be very thankful.

unspecified (1).jpg

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
You just have to stretch the spring. It will be a pain but doable. I would connect a string to the "drivers" side of the spring and pull to desired length then connect belt.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
:welcome:

On modles with manual PTO engagement the deck belt goes slack which is why the manual mentions belt keepers.
On electric PTO models the belt ie always under spring tension so the retainers are not needed.
Problems with covering too many variatios with the one manual.

First check your belt.
It should be a B 134 ( 5/8" wide x 134" outside circumferece.
When fitted the tensioning pulley should be around 1/2 way between the two spindle pulleys.
The arm with the spring attached should be about 2" to the left of the left rear hanger.

To fit the spring you put a breaker bar in the square hole then pull it backwards
It gets a bit crowded under there and the angles are all wrong.
So you put the belt on every thing except the right pulley. pull the belt tight swing the breaker bar then slip the belt over the right pulley using the slack from moving the tensioning pulley.
You will find that a lot easier than trying to slip the belt over the tension pulley with one hand while the other is 4' away on the end of the breaker bar.
A ratchet and 2' of pipe also works well and will allow you to get better angles than a breaker bar.

Jimw606

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a nearly new XT1, got it last year and has around 12 hours on it. I had to take it in once last fall because it threw the pto belt. I did not mow with it the rest of the fall, used it once this spring to mow (my son also has an LT 1042 and he is old enough to handle the mowing duties, so mine doesnt get used as much) and it threw the belt again. This time, rather than loading it up and taking it to the shop I disengaged the deck and pulled it out from under the tractor to see what was happening.

I dont know how to post pics here, I am aware that they would help. I did look in the manual too, but the first step in removing the deck mentions loosening the engine pulley keeper rod, which is not present on these tractors - I checked similar machines at the local Home Depot to be sure - so I am not sure I can even trust the manual.

Here is my issue. On the back of the deck, there are two vertically mounted posts that help attach the deck to tractor and allow it to be raised and lowered. Sitting just in front of the left (driver's side, if you will" post is a pulley mounted on top of a "V" shaped piece of metal. The pulley sits atop one of the tips of the V, the base of the V has the screw that mounts the V to the deck and allows it to pivot, the other point of the V attaches to a long spring which anchors back near the other upright (Passenger side).

On my deck, the point of the V attached to the spring is sitting between the two posts. This only allows the pulley to travel a minimal distance forward, and does not allow the belt to travel a straight line from the far left to the far right blade spindle. Figure 7-10 (on page 29 of my operators manual, form 769-10184D) shows this point of the V being located left and forward of the vertical post, allowing the pulley to move to a location forward of the blade spindle (but still slightly behind the middle blade spindle). The problem I am having is that in order for this to happen, the spring would have to be stretched beyond the length I think I can stretch it, and there is not a mechanism keeping that V shaped piece from falling back against the upright.

For what it is worth, I did get down and look under the xt1 models with the 50 inch decks at the local home depot, and their springs do appear to be stretched to cover a distance of around 18 inches. My spring is only covering about 12 inches. I didnt look, however, at that time to see where the v shaped piece was resting - whether it was against the upright or if there is another mechanism somehow holding it.

If anyone can offer insight I would be very thankful.

View attachment 28700

I have been able to take a ratchet and pull the idler over and wedge the handle in the left hand pulley. If I don't, the spring goes between those two upright pieces, and doesn't want to come back. It appears to be a dumb a## design to me, as well as the mulching kit.