X540 Diff Lock not working - New Transmission needed??

Jarsofme5

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / X540 Diff Lock not working - New Transmission needed??
Greetings all,

I purchased a used X540 last year, with about 700 hours and nearly all of my mowable yard is on some kind of hillside. The diff lock is essential and worked great through most of last year and then stopped working.

I stopped by the local JD store this morning to see a new X570 and compare the diff lock travel of the new tractor to mine (there is a small actuator/pivoting piece which the rod pushes when pedal is compressed), and it moves the same amount, which to me says the problem must be internal. The mechanisms and linkage of mine all look correct. After being directed to the service desk, I was told a new transmission would be $3900-$4000 (including pickup/dropoff), which is more than 2x+ what I paid for it used. Is there a more simple fix to this than an entirely new transmission? Everything else seems to work well. Are independent small engine shops generally able to fix these at a much better price?

Appreciate any input you all can provide. Thank you!

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Is your drive belt slipping between both idlers? When replacing drive belt replace both idler pulleys also, Post transaxle make & all numbers may be on bar code, thanks Mark
Possibly is answer to both questions.

Jarsofme5

Forum Newbie
Threads
barcode: Tuff Torq 787Q0124000 JDHW P/N: AM-132725 S/N: begins with 72A
I am not sure where to check to drive belt is slipping between both idlers. Do I need to remove deck?

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yes remove deck. Safety First wear Safety Glasses to protect eyes. Right side of floorpan under pedals. Remove idler pulleys for inspection of bearing & pulley wear, spin pulley by hand & see if bearing is dragging. Let us know how it goes, thanks Mark
Tuff Torque folks are there to help if you need assistance, just give them a ring.
Just got off phone with Gwen Kit #187Q0199001 is $510.96 currently out of stock. Talked to Donna she said you can call & order kit if needed & it will be 25 days. thanks, Mark
Tuff Torque phone # 1-866-572-3441
Cleanliness is most important when performing surgery on your equipment.

Last edited:

Jarsofme5

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yes remove deck. Safety First wear Safety Glasses to protect eyes. Right side of floorpan under pedals. Remove idler pulleys for inspection of bearing & pulley wear, spin pulley by hand & see if bearing is dragging. Let us know how it goes, thanks Mark
Tuff Torque folks are there to help if you need assistance, just give them a ring.
Just got off phone with Gwen Kit #187Q0199001 is $510.96 currently out of stock. Talked to Donna she said you can call & order kit if needed & it will be 25 days. thanks, Mark
Tuff Torque phone # 1-866-572-3441
Cleanliness is most important when performing surgery on your equipment.
Pulleys do not appear excessively worn and belt is threaded through properly and in good condition.

Tell me more about the kit. This allows for repair instead of a full replace? Would it have all the essential items to repair the differential lock components?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
That repair kit will not have anything to do with the differential lock not working. It is the center section pump section and seals.

This the area that needs attention if the differential lock is not working. items 95,107-116 are the locking parts.

1681916046765.png

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Talked to Georgette Tech Support for Tuff Torque. Tuff Torque makes Differential Repair KIT 1A637031530 $124.77. It will take 15 business days to receive kit if ordered today. I am suggesting you also order Repair Kit 187Q0199001 $510.96 & Qty. 2 /3L bottles Tuff Torque 5W-50 Full Synthetic Oil & filters for your 72A. Repair Kit is for worn cylinder blocks & new seals internally, you will have a new transaxle for $800. Replace worn out parts now while transaxle will be opened up. Let us know how it goes, thanks Mark
Do your research online locally for reputable Tuff Torque technician.

Last edited:

Jarsofme5

Forum Newbie
Threads
That repair kit will not have anything to do with the differential lock not working. It is the center section pump section and seals.

This the area that needs attention if the differential lock is not working. items 95,107-116 are the locking parts.

View attachment 63947
I’ve got not experience with transmission tear apart/rebuilds but am moderately capable following directions. Is this a fairly straightforward process or best trusted to a technician? Any special tools needed? Should it be obvious when I take apart which items are worn and damaged which are preventing diff lock from engaging?

Mark- seems to be worth it in your opinion to replace everything in the $500 kit in the 700+ hour mower's transmission while it is apart, even though diff lock is my only issue?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Talked to Georgette Tech Support for Tuff Torque. Tuff Torque makes Differential Repair KIT 1A637031530 $124.77. It will take 15 business days to receive kit if ordered today. I am suggesting you also order Repair Kit 187Q0199001 $510.96 & Qty. 2 /3L bottles Tuff Torque 5W-50 Full Synthetic Oil & filters for your 72A. Repair Kit is for worn cylinder blocks & new seals internally, you will have a new transaxle for $800. Replace worn out parts now while transaxle will be opened up. Let us know how it goes, thanks Mark
Do your research online locally for reputable Tuff Torque technician.
Again that 1A637031530 does not include the differential lock parts. Only includes parts marked 86. Which is only the planetary, satellite gears, and two short shafts for the satellite gears.

1681929130776.png
1681929303270.png