worth the purchase

bret

Threads
Is it worth the purchase to buy a tiller or just rent one? I am just wondering as we are new to home ownership and have never had space to put in a garden let alone till the ground.

indypower

Threads
How big is your garden going to be? What is the price of a rental? Are you going to till it in the spring & fall? If you do rent, you will have to reserve it a couple weeks in advance and make sure you get it all tlled that day.

Greenblades

Threads
I recommend first you rent one, if only for a day. Tillers sound nice but I remember 15 years ago they took more strength than my father decided it was worth. I'm not so sure about if the technology has progressed, but renting for a day would let you know if the purchase was worth it.

VRman

Threads
There are two types of walk behind tillers. Rear tine, counter rotating does an excellent job of pulverizing the ground as well as being easier to control, especially if tilling new ground. You can usually guide these with one hand. For maintenance work in the garden, they are a little tougher since the tines are usually covered with a shield that is not adjustable in width. These are good for hard/soft soil.

I've found the front tine models are good for running through the garden after its planted to chop up weeds and loosen the soil. These are easily adjusted for width. If you use this kind for new ground and it isn't a soft soil, get ready for a workout. It'll be like riding a bucking bronco! :laughing:

I actually own both as my garden is 75ft x 50ft.

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Is it worth the purchase to buy a tiller or just rent one? I am just wondering as we are new to home ownership and have never had space to put in a garden let alone till the ground.

Back in '89 I bought my first tiller, a Rally (MTD) 5 hp Briggs powered front tine. The only thing I have used it for is tilling my garden plot, which is now a 28 by 46 foot size. It cost me $300 plus tax when new, and aside from two replacement belts, three air filters, five spark plugs, an an annual oil change, it has required nothing further. If you are serious about gardening, buy your own, because with minimal care it will last forever. I am 60 years old and with the depth stake and wheels properly set I can still break hard ground with my front tiner, without a lot of effort. For preparing new ground, they till much deeper and dig out rocks much better than a more costly rear tine. If I had decent soil rather than the hardpack clay mid-Michigan has, I'd go with the rear tine models.

Mac 624

Threads
If itエs only for occasional use I would rent one. But if you wonna use it more often, I would buy a tiller.

Iエm not sure, what to recommend. I never have worked with the rear tine tillers which are offered in USA and the front tine are ok so far, if it comes to prepared soil.

The prob by the for me by the rear tine is, that they are not multifunctional and also a front tine should be. Fortake is, that they are awfully cheap in USA compared to Germany, if it comes to a quality product with B&S, Honda or Kawasaki engine.

Bild004.jpg

DSCK0010.jpg

Rooster7

Threads
If itエs only for occasional use I would rent one. But if you wonna use it more often, I would buy a tiller.

Iエm not sure, what to recommend. I never have worked with the rear tine tillers which are offered in USA and the front tine are ok so far, if it comes to prepared soil.

The prob by the for me by the rear tine is, that they are not multifunctional and also a front tine should be. Fortake is, that they are awfully cheap in USA compared to Germany, if it comes to a quality product with B&S, Honda or Kawasaki engine.

Bild004.jpg

DSCK0010.jpg

That is one of the funniest yet coolest pictures I have ever seen! Who would have thought to turn the tiller into a wagon puller?? Thats awesome! :thumbsup:

cren

Threads
If it works do not fix it. ;)

And yes, if its not something you plan on doing for tons of work just rent, its easier in the long run. What I am hoping to do within the next week or so is lay down the plans for our new garden, then rent, do all the work and take it back. Right now we do not have the storage for one anyhoo.

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
If it works do not fix it. ;)

And yes, if its not something you plan on doing for tons of work just rent, its easier in the long run. What I am hoping to do within the next week or so is lay down the plans for our new garden, then rent, do all the work and take it back. Right now we do not have the storage for one anyhoo.

Can I provide a bit of advice that may save you a lot of work in the long run?? If you are converting an area of grass, pasture, etc to a garden plot, either remove the top layer of vegetation (a LOT of work with a shovel) or use Roundup, or another broad spectrum grass and weed killer, to kill the vegetation before you till it under. Otherwise you will always have the disagreeable task of getting rid of the weeds, quackgrass, etc. that always seems to sprout in an area of bare ground.