Wood Chipper in the rain?

rmonge00

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello,

I have a small, homeowner grade wood chipper. Is it ok to run this thing in a llight rain or when the wood is a bit damp or does the wood need to be pretty dry? Is it harder on the engine if the wood is damp?

Mower manic

Threads
Hello,

I have a small, homeowner grade wood chipper. Is it ok to run this thing in a llight rain or when the wood is a bit damp or does the wood need to be pretty dry? Is it harder on the engine if the wood is damp?

Dry wood is more a function of how long the wood has been cut rather than the weather or relative humidity at the time you split it. Dry wood does not get any harder to split in the rain.
Determining the difficulty has a lot to do with species of tree and the diameter of the logs.
If it seems like it may be too difficult for the splitter than it probably is. Make sure everything is working smoothly and well lubricated. If the motor is bogging down, then you are going to shorten the service life of the splitter and you should probably change something.

rmonge00

Forum Newbie
Threads
mower manic - thanks for the advice, but i am talking about a chipper, not a splitter...

benski

Threads
mower manic - thanks for the advice, but i am talking about a chipper, not a splitter...
Out here on the Olympic Peninsula, about the only issues I have with chipping brush and branches is the stuff is heavier and has a tendency to stick in the discharge chute.:frown: Other than that, I don't see too much of a problem. If we waited for dry weather, there'd be a huge pile for us for our 6 days of summer, right?:wink::laughing::biggrin:

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Like benski said... it will build up a little more in the discharge... BUT a bit of moisture will hold down the dust...
And the water will lube and cool the knives on the rotating drum... I think over all a little wet is a helpful thing, despite the added weight.... :smile:KennyV

Mower manic

Threads
Hello,

Sorry, I guess I thought I saw splitter instead of chipper.
I don't know chip about chippers :wink: