won't start

mowerguy

Threads
i have a toro rear engine zero turn. its a cheaper one and the drain plug on the engine is right behind the saet. i lifted up the front end so the oil would drain to the back of the mower. doing this not all of the oil drain out of the engine because it was all it the back of the engine. stupid mistake by me. well i went to add the new oil and there was way too much. i think some of it got in the cylinder. when i take the spark plug out it will turn over and at the right speed. but when i put the spark plug back in it will still turn over but very slow. it has spark and the battery is still good. the electrical is all working great. not sure what to do next. any help on getting this started would greatly appreciated.

its a 16 hp briggs

thanks in advance!!!

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
If it was me I would start my getting the right amount of oil in the engine.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Turn it over till you get all the oil out of the cylinder. Read the thread by TuXter called Briggs and Stratton pull chord. They had the same problem.

mowerguy

Threads
i pulled the plug out and turned it over until all the oil came out. i guess i will check the carb out

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
i pulled the plug out and turned it over until all the oil came out. i guess i will check the carb out

I can't see that the carburetor has to do with it turning over slow with the starter. If you turn it over by hand does it turn over hard. If so you must still have oil in the clyinder. If this is the case maybe you can tilt the mower to get all the oil out. If it turns over normal by hand but slow with the starter I would say you have a starter problim??? You have to understand that I can only guess over the cumputer.

mowerguy

Threads
it turns over slow with the spark plug in. when i take the spark plug out it turns over like normal. im thinking it might have something to do with compression. i havent tried to turn it by hand yet

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
it turns over slow with the spark plug in. when i take the spark plug out it turns over like normal. im thinking it might have something to do with compression. i havent tried to turn it by hand yet

Stop and think what makes more compression. Even if the valves don't open you are going to have just so much compression. And are the valves opening and closing? What would make more compressing? I would say the cylinder chamber would have to be filled with something? Oil, gas, carbon, old sock ??? I also believe a lot of engines have a compression release built into the cam shaft just for starting. maybe? What that does it hold one of the valves open just little only when you are starting the engine to release a little of the compression. If it is compression related I don't know what else it could be?

bakerg

Lawn Addict
Threads
The engine will turn over easy without the plug because you are not building up pressure in the cylinder because the air escapes through the plug hole. With the plug in it will take more current to turn the motor over because you are building compression. Try jumping your battery with your car and see if the engine turns over faster.:biggrin:

mowerguy

Threads
i've tried jumping it with my truck over and over now and i'm still getting the same result