won't start electrical issue i think

kdmann64

Forum Newbie
Threads
its about and 07 i think has a 19 horse kawasaki. turned over then everything stopped. key turns and nothing just a click. i tried jumper cables and checked the two 20amp fuses, what next. there are some two relays or something on the side how can i check them?
thanks Kevin

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hi Kevin WELCOME to LMF...

Many times the problem is bad electrical connections, Remove the battery cables and clean the connections with a wire brush... this will be the most common problem... :smile:KennyV

kdmann64

Forum Newbie
Threads
it wasn't that, i did it but the battery connections were tight and clean. i took out and switched those two relays and it cranked once,

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
If you (carefully) jump from the small terminal on the starter solenoid to the cable from the battery will it turn the engine over? :smile:KennyV

kdmann64

Forum Newbie
Threads
not sure which terminal is small on starter solinoid where is this
I see something that has two red terminals near the starter is this it?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
The starter solenoid will have:
1. a large cable coming from the positive terminal on the battery. Likely some smaller wires on this same large terminal.
2. a large cable going to the starter.
3. at least 1 small wire, on a small terminal, that comes indirectly from the start terminal of the key switch...

IF you jump across the small terminal to the battery side of the starter solenoid the engine is apt to crank over... IF the key is in the 'ON' position when you crank the engine, it is apt to start... IF it starts and is in gear, or has the pto on, someone is apt to get ran over... & IF all the above mentioned happens, whoever happens to get ran over is apt to get hurt, or mowed..... SO be careful when doing things that you are not 100 percent sure of the outcome... :smile:KennyV

kdmann64

Forum Newbie
Threads
ok so it won't crank this morning. i just went out to do what you said it cranked with the key by itself like normal. what gives. i got a feeling its not going to do that at all 12 yards that i have to mow tomorrow.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
You have a bad switch or a bad electrical connection...
DON"T start replacing switches... check for voltage drops in the starter circuit.... it likely goes from the key switch to and through the PTO switch, then an operator present switch and possibly a clutch or neutral switch and finally to the small terminal on the starter solenoid...

This is assuming that you have already insured that both ends of BOTH cables on the battery are clean & tight. ...
The one nice thing about electrical circuits is that once you figure out hoe to track down problems... that system will work in almost every situation you encounter ... You will eventually need a digital volt ohm meter...
If you buy one get it with an amp clamp, one that will amp clamp BOTH AC & DC... You will not regret having a decent meter and becoming familiar with it's uses... :smile:KennyV

Exmark1

Threads
Kevin,
We are sorry to hear you are having an issue with your Exmark mower. Please provide us with your model number and serial number so we can further assist you or contact us at 1-800-667-5296.

kdmann64

Forum Newbie
Threads
model number: LHP19KA465
serial number: 717323